Thursday, 14 March 2013

The National Wormhole Day Blog Hop

The Passing Time Blog Tour has landed at Michael Offutt's blog, where I'm discussing why my first short story collection is dark fiction rather than science fiction. Please fly on over and say hello to Michael.



There is no teaser from Passing Time today, as I'm taking part in the National Wormhole Day Blog Hop hosted by Stephen Tremp, Laura Eno, and L.G. Smith.



The blog hop hosts asked: what would you do or where would you go if you could traverse a wormhole through space or time just once?

At first I spent a great deal of time deciding what time I'd like to go back or forward to, but in every scenario there was the problem of paradoxes or the butterfly effect to contend with - where even the slightest change brought about by my arrival could alter the course of history. So I decided my wormhole would only travel through space and not time

This is where I'd go. 


 
I'm not sure if we will see a mission to Mars in my lifetime. I'm 40 years of age, so that hopefully leaves another 40 years for it to happen. What I do know is that if I was offered a place on such a mission, I would go - even if it was a one-way trip. 

Why? Because I've been fascinated by Mars for most of my life. From those early school lessons, science fiction books, and David Bowie's Life on Mars, the red planet has enthralled me. The chance to go there and step foot on a planet that has inspired great works of literature and classic songs could not be passed up.

Now all I need is a real wormhole...

I'll be back tomorrow, when I will be sharing a teaser from Dining in Hell and sharing Ten Things You May Not Know About Passing Time over at the wonderful Alexandra Lanc's blog.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie .. well I'm glad you'll be here tomorrow - you'd really go on a one way trip to Mars ... and not be able to come back and tell us all about it - surely that's part of the fun?!

    Good to know you're still around .. and I'll be buying Passing Time very soon .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The possibility of living on Mars is a big thing for my son right now. So this trip would fit in perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mars? Hmmm....maybe it was earth thousands and thousands of years ago. I don't think that's where I'd wanna go though.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think a lot alike! I'd like to believe we'll reach Mars in our lifetime. (Hope so, because I'm sure I have less time than you. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might still get a chance to go to Mars one day.
    And saw you over at DL's today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a unique take! Traveling through space, really deep space, black holes would answer so many questions. Good luck with the continued tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I hope it happens for you (whether you get asked on the mission or not!) That's a nice wormhole trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's see, if you sell a bazillion books, give or take a couple, you can just buy a ticket for one of those rich dude's tours to Mars that are being sold already. (I mean, reeeeally rich.) You're young enough that the trip may become commonplace and a wee bit more affordable in your lifetime. (But a wormhole would be waaaaay easier.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choice! That would be an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But we'd miss you if it were a one-way trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been fascinated with Mars as well--thanks to John Carter!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rad choice, going to the red planet:) It reminds me of Kim Robinson's Red Mars book, very cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow, you are brave. A one way ticket to Mars? But wouldn't it be cool to be a space traveler and see something like that for the first time? Scary but rewarding. And I do think we'll get there some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may be 40, but you don't look a year over 24.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You would not like it, too cold, not enough air and nothing but sand. The warmest spot on Mars is the Hellas Basin, the Martian equivalent of Death Valley, where its top temperature never quite gets above zero. Great for athletics though, you only weigh a bit over one third your Earth weight. Maybe the 2188 Olympics will be held there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love, love, love to go to Mars. Aside from Saturn, it is my absolute favorite planet, and I've always been fascinated by it as well. Good pick, that one!

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many people think Mars holds the secrets to Earths past. Could water come from there to here to fuel Noah's Flood? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mars would be a fascinating place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a good trip & take lots of pictures because space travel both fascinates and terrifies me, and I'm pretty sure the terror would win if faced with the actually opportunity to go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a fascinating journey.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!