Saturday, 23 March 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors - Passing Time


Today I'm taking part in my first Weekend Writing Warriors. I'm posting an eight-sentence snippet from the title story to my dark fiction eBook collection, Passing Time. Read the details and how to take part here.


The Set Up

Mr. Ashby has arrived for work one week before his retirement. Outside the entrance to his place of work, an elderly man is waiting for him. He has a strange but brief conversation with the man, which ends with this excerpt. It's a conversation he will later regret.

The Snippet


He reached out a skeletal hand and I took it, though I did not know why. His skin felt cool and ash-like–as if prolonged contact might simply rub it away–and I pulled my fingers free one by one, like peeling a band-aid I feared would rip away the top layer of his skin.
“Thank you,” he said, the timbre of his voice sounding more jubilant. He turned his back to me and, with tremendous ease for a man of his age, began walking down the steps I had just assailed.
“For what?” I called after him.
            He stopped for a moment and looked back. “For passing time, Mr. Ashby. Passing time.
            I stood watching as he disappeared into the crowd and tried to fathom what had just taken place.


The Blurb

Nine dark fiction stories that may just give you nightmares.

A man lives to regret Passing Time. A father will do anything to save his son in Expiration Date. An author finds out her worst nightmare is back in The Devil’s Song. A woman gets more than the claim fee when she takes out vampire insurance in Luna Black.

In Dining in Hell, the Death Valley Diner becomes the wrong place to stop.
A serial killer wants to add another file to his collection in The Vegas Screamer. In Eating Mr. Bone, an undertaker could meet an unfortunate end. A con man meets his first ghost in Land of the Free. And will truth finally be set free in The Letter?

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Thirty years is a long wait;) Great ideas, nearly got to the last one. Time is passing too rapidly for me to read everything I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Snafu. I understand about time passing to quickly and reading. There are so many books and to few hours in the day.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Very intriguing snippet. I want to know what happened. Terrific description, though. Loved the way you describe his hand. Very vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew. The peeling a bandaid description...gross but effective. Great snippet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eleri. I was hoping to make it a cringe moment.

      Delete
  4. Highly intriguing. Now I'm madly speculating and can't wait for more! Terrific snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica. I shall be sharing more next week!

      Delete
  5. Great descriptions! and I really got into the voice of the MC.
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow... Very intriguing. What the heck is up with that old guy, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to read the story to find out. Muhahahaha.

      Delete
  7. Am I right in thinking that Mr. Ashby is either an unwitting smuggler or has just lost some of his own life?

    Cool situation, either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And welcome to WeWriWa! :)

      Delete
    2. I can't possibly say, other than both guesses are incorrect. That will get you thinking.

      Thank you for the welcome.

      Delete
  8. That snippet gave me shivers! I want to read more of Passing Time *with lights on and baseball bat by the bed* I absolutely love your cover art!
    Cheers!
    Sam
    http://writerlysam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments makes me happy, which of course makes me seem dark and twisted!

      Delete
  9. Brilliant extract, Ellie. Your tales all sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it just oozes with the creepiness factor, Ellie! Great job. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!