Monday, 24 June 2013

Cover Reveal Thank You, Beating The Blues, & Debt Collector Trailer Reveal

I'd like to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped me with Taking Time's cover reveal last Monday. The following people are all stars in my opinion and if you've never visited their blogs, please do:


Captain Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh
Donna Hosie
Suzanne Furness
CD Coffelt
Simon Kewin
L Diane Wolfe
Cherie Reich
Milo James Fowler
Christine Rains
Mary Pax
Laura Eno
Gwen Gardner





Beating the Blues

The end of last week was a tough one for me. I was balancing line edits with work and other non-writing commitments. I went through my usual period of self-doubt, especially after seeing my editor's notes. I told myself I couldn't write and that I was too tired to carry on. Two things helped me through it.

Firstly, the members of Untethered Realms, the group of speculative fiction writers I've joined. I posted how I was feeling in our private Facebook group and they rallied round to support me and offer invaluable advice. Being part of group or network like Untethered Realms is vitally important. Although writing is by its nature a solitary profession, no writer can do it all alone. I'll be discussing this in more detail in July's Indie Life post.

Secondly, I had an awesome review from a writer I did not know until the end of last week. Tony Todd is a science fiction writer (who also writes with his wife) and he featured Passing Time as his Goodreads Review of the Week. It's always great to make new writing friends, and I have a feeling we will be friends for a long time to come.You can check out his blog here.

What do you do to beat the writing blues?


Debt Collector Trailer Reveal

Over the last few weeks I've been reading a future-noir science fiction serial by the talented Susan Kay Quinn. It's a new type of fiction release, where you get a novelette-length episode every two weeks. I can't recommend it enough. If you like your fiction dark and gritty, Debt Collector is for you.

I'm thrilled to be helping to reveal Debt Collector's trailer. Here it is:




BOOK AND AUTHOR INFO

Debt Collector by Susan Kaye Quinn  


Series: Debt Collector Serial (currently has 8 released instalments)
Genre: NA Future-Noir

Synopsis

What's your life worth on the open market? 


A debt collector can tell you precisely.

Lirium plays the part of the grim reaper well, with his dark trenchcoat, jackboots, and the black marks on his soul that every debt collector carries. He's just in it for his cut, the ten percent of the life energy he collects before he transfers it on to the high potentials, the people who will make the world a better place with their brains, their work, and their lives. That hit of life energy, a bottle of vodka, and a visit from one of Madam Anastazja's sex workers keep him alive, stable, and mostly sane... until he collects again. But when his recovery ritual is disrupted by a sex worker who isn't what she seems, he has to choose between doing an illegal hit for a girl whose story has more holes than his soul or facing the bottle alone--a dark pit he's not sure he'll be able to climb out of again.

The first three episodes of the Debt Collector serial are collectively the length of a short novel, or 152 pages. These are the first three of nine episodes in the first season of The Debt Collector serial. This dark and gritty future-noir is about a world where your life-worth is tabulated on the open market and going into debt risks a lot more than your credit rating. Episode 4, Broken, releases 4/17/13. For more about the Debt Collector serial, see DebtCollectorSeries.com


Purchase (Debt Collector episode 1 is currently FREE!):



AUTHOR BIO

Susan Kaye Quinn grew up in California, where she wrote snippets of stories and passed them to her friends during class. Her teachers pretended not to notice and only confiscated her stories a couple times.

Susan left writing behind to pursue a bunch of engineering degrees, but she was drawn back to writing by an irresistible urge to share her stories with her niece, her kids, and all the wonderful friends she’s met along the way.

She doesn’t have to sneak her notes anymore, which is too bad.

Susan writes from the Chicago suburbs with her three boys, two cats, and one husband. Which, it turns out, is exactly as a much as she can handle.

Author Links



That's it for today. Don't forget to call back Wednesday, when Samantha Geary Jones will be this week's Speculative Fiction Writer.

Happy writing!

10 comments:

  1. I loved Susan's book trailer!
    It's great to have the Untethered Realms group to support you. We definitely can't do this writing thing alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to help in some small way. And you're right about needing a group like UR - sometimes you need the perspetive of others. I tell myself I can't write on an almost daily basis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool on the review!
    Was glad to help you with the cover reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book trailer is awesome! And a magnificent review for you too. It was my pleasure to help with the reveal, and rant away any time you need to. UR is a fantastic group. I'm so honored to be a part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Ellie!!!! Yay for your cover reveal success and fabulous review - FABULOUS!!!!! Now hopefully you have a new spring in your step and a warm glow in your creative heart!!! Happy Monday!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to have helped, hope your book goes from strength to strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh creepy. Might be too dark for me!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good review is great for the ego :) I'm glad that the launch was successful. Good luck with your edits; I know how valuable the encouragement of a writing group can be. I have a few friends that help me out with the writing blues.

    Debt Collector is on my TBR list. Love dark and creepy stuff.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blues are the worst... and SO HARD to overcome... but relief does come in the strangest ways, doesn't it? And huge congrats to Susan! Her work looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That review is spot on!
    Hopefully it will lift your flagging spirits...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!