Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Samantha Geary Jones - Speculative Fiction Writer

This week's Speculative Fiction Writer is the inspirational, Samantha Geary Jones. She's going to tell us about a very special collaboration between film music and creative writing that started during this year's A to Z, and how you can get involved. Over to you, Samantha.


WriterlySam: Unlocking Imaginations

I’m a homeschooling Mom of two little girls by day, fiction author by night. Which loosely translates to full-time Mom/ part-time sanity. I have an affinity for cheese crackers and a manageable addiction to coffee. A biochemist by degree –- creative and comical by design -- my background includes lots of “nerdy” science stuff, like genetic research, pharmaceutical drug development, regulatory affairs (not to be confused with regular affairs) and a brief, bad-ass stint in the FBI, recruited as a forensics Special Agent  (truly the nail in the coffin for running).

Years of being subjected to toxic fumes has taken its toll on my neural pathways, resulting in an unusual development. No, it’s not a cool superpower. If it were, I would be in Hollywood sipping mojitos with Henry Cavill instead of revealing my handicap to you fine folks. Brace yourself! I cannot write without listening to music. Not just any music, mind you -- I am a slap-happy fan of film scores. Only these brilliant compositions will unlock my imagination, transporting me to a world of endless possibilities (drowning out the demands of domestic life and offspring alike).

Which leads me to my next revelation: Country music makes my ears bleed *no offense to country music fans*

Which, in turn, leads me to my actual revelation: During the A-Z challenge, I featured scores of music from the major motion picture production house, Audiomachine. Many excerpts from my epic YA novel series, “The Essence of Memory” were written while listening to their tracks. I am now collaborating with Audiomachine’s composers on a unique promotion for their next album release: 



Beginning July 15th, I’ll be revealing daily excerpts of a brand new serial solely inspired by their music. There will be approximately 26 posts, each highlighting an album track. When the story is complete, readers will be able to vote for their favorite posts. Three lucky commenters from the top three posts, who’ve previously “liked” Audiomachine’s FB page (and, should they feel moved to “like” My FB page, I won’t stop ‘em) will be eligible for “fan prizes”. So, it stands to reason, the more you comment, the better your chances of winning, say, a phone call from Henry Cavill or the lovely Amy Adams *disclaimer: celebrity contact is not a guaranteed prize*
In addition to this endeavor, I’ll be hosting a "Tree of Life: Branching Out" writing challenge for guest writers, each contributing their own 150 word excerpt to a continuing story collectively written over the course of 25 days. These clever crafters will spin the story in whatever direction they choose, picking up where the previous writer left off, resulting in the ultimate collaborative tale! They, too, will discover what magic the music unlocks!
When the collective story is complete, fans will have a chance to vote for their favorite guest excerpt -- the top three writers will be awarded prizes. Prizes will include autographed copies of Audiomachine's new album "The Tree of Life", original, signed tree-inspired artwork and Biltmore Coffee Traders coffee! The first guest writer will post on July 15th, the second on the 16th and so on until August 9th. I hope you all will join us during this exciting collaboration - where music unlocks the imagination!
Cheers!



Thank you, Samantha. As a long-time fan of film scores (I was lucky enough to see both Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone in concert), I am fascinated by this project. I can't wait to see it unfold over the coming weeks.

I'll be back on Friday with a cover reveal for Endure by Laura Diamond. I'm super-excited about this one, as I've known Laura since I first started blogging in 2010. In the meantime, happy writing.

13 comments:

  1. Tree of Life is a cool idea, Sam.
    And country music makes my ears bleed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for featuring me and my crazy ideas, Ellie, you rock!

    Haha, Alex! Glad to know I'm not the only one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this, Sam. What a cool project.

    Waving at Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prizes are awesome! I would love to talk to a celebrity on the phone! The project looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellie and Samantha,

    Yes, I'm here. Normally, I wouldn't get involved in such things. However, because crazy ideas and myself, work very well together, I shall be almost looking forward to this.

    You almost lost me when you had to make mention of that ridiculous alphabet challenge! And country music. Always the same themes, "my wife has left me, the dog has died and my pick-up truck wont start..." Yuck and yee haa!!!

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam - you're funny! I'm sorry you didn't get a super-power that lets you hang out in Hollywood, but being a writer is the next best thing. Yay for you for finding things that inspire. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all excited by this project. I know it will rock! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be fun! (And yes, my ears bleed, as well)

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Henry! Hi Amy! Oh. I just read the disclaimer. It sounds like a fun contest Ellie and Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're in for the ride, Mary:)

    I, too, would love to talk to those celebrities, Livia...someone should make that happen!

    We're safe, Gary - no country tracks allowed in this challenge - we may be crazy, but not THAT crazy!

    Being a writer, sharing coffee with Henry Cavill would be the next best thing, Lexa:)

    That's the only way we roll, Al!

    There's even a cool "badge" in the works, Shannon, the fun is just beginning:0


    HA! I'm glad someone caught the "disclaimer", Maurice! If anyone can cajole Amy and Henry into joining our merry band - they'll get extra coffee:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting stuff. As an aside, sometimes I think the music is much better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The collaborative project is unfolding beautifully... and has already featured some awesome writers!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!