Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Tara Tyler - Speculative Fiction Writer


I'm super-excited to have Pop Travel author, Tara Tyler, popping over to visit today. She was brave enough to be interviewed. Evil chuckle.







Thanks for having me, Ellie! I've always loved your blog! (And the fact you love William Shatner. May you meet him some day.)*


Q:  Please tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, and what do you do when you're not writing short stories or novels?

I live in Ohio. And when I'm not writing, I'm usually carting kids around to sports or other activities. I have three very active boys!

Q:  On your blog you say you had no idea you wanted to write and rebelled against your English teachers. When did you first start writing and why?

As a teen, I had more important things to do than read all those stuffy books – which I adore now! I got math without any trouble, everything made sense and had only one right answer. And no English teachers gave me encouragement. UNTIL! I took a class at  PB&J College (Palm Beach Junior College) ha! I took it so I wouldn't have to waste a whole semester in real college on English Comp! But the teacher was very impressed with my writing skills and told me. That was my first spark. My first writing attempt was a story about all my crazy friends and the outrageous nights we had going out in Atlanta combined into one wild bachelorette party – lots of drama and laughs.

Q:  Do you have a favourite writing quote that inspires you and, if so, what is it?

Mark Twain is my favourite writer to quote. Here's a gem: "We write frankly and fearlessly but then we 'modify' before we print."

Q: Where did the idea for Pop Travel come from?

Airports & Security! I hate the nasty "x-ray glasses" machines! I wanted to come up with a way to avoid flying, so I researched my own method of teleportation. And originally, I was going to suggest my idea to the great Michael Crichton, but he died before I could!!! I was heartbroken. So, I wrote it myself.


Q:  The cover for Pop Travel is stunning. How much of a creative input did you have and who designed it?

Thank you! I made a couple of covers using MS Powerpoint and passed them on. Then the artist, Ricky Gunawan, expanded on those ideas and came up with my fantastic cover. He's amazing!






Q:  Would you like to share an excerpt with us?

Of course! In this scene cynical, pop-phobic Cooper, the MC, is getting ready to take his first pop.

When he reached the counter, the travelport agent scanned his thumbprint, bringing up his photo and ticket information. He barely listened to the scarily pretty android as it rattled through the pre-travel procedures and noted his departure gate, B15. Why do they have to be so damn polite?
Cooper tuned back in at the mention of the pre-medical exam. He had forgotten about that and now had something else to worry about. How had this concept caught on so easily? No one likes going to the doctor.
Catching him in another worried daze, the unflappable robot repeated her last statement.
"Thank you, Mr. Cooper. Please avail yourself of our amenities and relax in the waiting area until your gate is announced."
Cooper blinked, then sneered at her.
She flashed her dimwitted courtesy smile. The heartless creature had no clue as to what fate had in store for some unlucky travelers. He scooted off, afraid she might say it again, like an auto-flushing toilet, shooing someone away to make room for the next customer.

Q:  Now for the compulsory random question: if you could pop anywhere in time and space, where would you go?

I've always wanted to go to Australia and popping would save tons of time! I'd also love to pop all over to meet my blog friends in person!

Thanks, again, Ellie for having me! This is all so exciting!


Pop Travel Information:

Mini Blurb

In a futuristic cat-and-mouse game, hard-boiled detective J.L. Cooper is chased across the world using Pop Travel teleportation, which has a deadly flaw he is determined to expose.

Back Cover

In 2080, technology has gone too far for J. L. Cooper. He is happily hidden in his simple, secluded life as a private detective in a small town, far from any pop travel laser teleportation stations. Until he takes on a client who insists pop travel made his fiancé disappear.

When Cooper investigates, he finds evidence of pop travel's deadly flaw, sparking a series of murders, attempts on his life, and threats to his brother. He’d like to pass off the evidence but knows he’s being watched and can’t trust anyone. And who would believe him?

The only way he can save his brother is to fool his observers while looking for a way to expose the problem. He decides to go to the source and confront the Creator of pop travel. On his way, Cooper meets Southern siren, Geri Harper (an undercover FBI agent) who tags along despite his protests. When they reach the Creator, he has plans of his own and leads them on a wild detour.


Release Date: July 7, 2013
Publisher: Curiosity Quills

Amazon
Amazon.co.uk


Author Bio:

Tara Tyler started out as a math teacher. After having a hand in everything from waitressing to rocket engineering and living up and down the Eastern US, she finally found some roots, writing and teaching in Ohio with her three active boys and Coach Husband. In addition to her novels, she has published short stories and poetry in Science Fiction, Fantasy, Thriller, and Humor. So many stories to tell!



Thank you, Tara. I think we'd all love to pop everywhere! I loved the excerpt. Congratulations on what is sure to be the first of many stunning and successful novels. 

*I have met William Shatner! At the 2011 London Film and Comic Convention. I count it as one of my top ten wow experiences. As you can imagine, I was a little tongued-tied and in awe.



Don't forget Taking Time was published this week. Read more about it and enter my competition here.

Call back on Friday, when author Jeff Beesler will be making the final stop of his Optical Osmosis tour.

17 comments:

  1. I hate airports as well, so I'm with you on teleportation! Funny you didn't pick up writing until college. A little encouragement can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun excerpt, Tara! I'd also love to go to Australia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great interview! I'd love to be able to travel with teleportation. It would save so much time, and oh yes, Australia! Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!

    I miss Mr. Crichton, too.

    Although Popping sounds fast and easy I think I will keep my molecules where they are.

    :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I love reading these. :)

    Love the cover for Pop Travel -- and for Taking Time! Congrats on the release.

    Best Wishes,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had some PB&J inspiration.

    Tara, you are just so talented...you helped with the cover too? I feel like suck a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the interview tara and that cover is just amazing-balls! I'd love to meet all my bloggy friends in person too!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely Pop by to see you Tara. Also go to Japan. This was a very nice interview, learned more about you and the book. Plus I'm the opposite, still don't get Math all that much and I was in love with books from a young age. And that Mark Twain quote is so true about writers, we have to edit for 'The Man'...*giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate airports and flying so much these days, I don't unless I have to.

    I wish I'd been better at math. English was where I excelled. Congrats, Tara!

    Waving at Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cover is really unique, which is good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just started Pop Travel the other day. Super opening. Still enjoying it. Thanks for the interview. Anyone who hasn't read Taking Time btw, get it. great read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Ellie. Hm, tried to post congrats on Day 1 of TT's release, but for some reason it didn't publish. So trying again:

    Congrats on the new release. Picked up a copy within hours of its Amazon availability, and there's no doubt it'll be a hit!

    Cheers!
    (Kym-n-)Mark

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww this was awesome!
    Congratulations :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. y'all are great! thanks for the support! its so wonderful to meet new people on the tour!

    thanks again, ellie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your story sounds awesome Tara. Great interview Tara and Ellie :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tara and Ellie - love the premise for this and now I've read a little more - gosh I could miss airports out too ..

    Good luck Tara .. with your Pop Travel - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. "... auto-flushing toilet..." LOL
    A great way of putting it.
    (I'm trying to play catch up on the blog tour...)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!