Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Graeme Ing - Speculative Fiction Writer

This week's Speculative Fiction Writer, and fellow Untethered Realms member, is Graeme Ing. He was brave enough to answer some of my more unusual questions. He also has a character named after him in my sci-fi collection, Taking Time. Evil chuckle.



Q: What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Dashing, debonair and charming? Oh, all right, helpful, modest, encouraging.

Q: Are you a morning or night person?

I've been a night owl all my life. If I have something to get up for (like work) then I can, but my natural instinct is to lie in and avoid mornings. It’s terrible. I can’t write early in the morning and much prefer to write at night. I get all my best creative ideas at night.

Q: If you could eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be?

Sleep. I resent spending a third of my life asleep. Think of everything I could do with that time. But you said daily, so I think that answer is cheating. I’d eliminate coffee. The number of trips to the coffee machine each day is like a crutch – it’s become as much a habit as the need to drink coffee. I have tried but I get crotchety. Do they make coffee patches?

Q: What item, that you don't already have, would you like to own?

A teleportation bracelet. One of my greatest passions is travel and I could see so much more of the world with this gizmo. Just think, lunch in Sydney, I could flit over to Paris for cheese or Chile to buy a nice Malbec. I could spend a couple of hours a day in a different town anywhere in the world.

Q: What is one thing that drives you crazy and why?

TV journalists/presenters when they ask stupid questions. Like “What did you think when your house exploded?” Really? As an author I feel that is an awful mechanism to elicit an emotional response. It also doesn't move the story along because we already know the answer. Woe betides the interviewer that ever levels a stupid question like that to me on live TV. “Well, Piers, I was thinking of redecorating anyway, and it sure was a great pyrotechnic show!”

Q: What three things do you think will become obsolete in the next 10 years?

Firstly, the computer mouse, as we all move to track pads, touch screens or voice and gesture recognition. Secondly, the concept of a landline telephone. Residential phones will be replaced by cell phones and business phones by the computer, a la Skype and GoToMeeting. Thirdly, paper newspapers. They've been dead for the last decade but just haven’t had the sense to lie down.

Q: What unique or quirky habit do you have?

Actually, I'm told that whenever I begin a sentence with "actually" that I end it with "actually" too, actually. I know, I know, as a writer I ought to have a superior grasp of language.

Q: What punctuation mark best describes you and why?

What an outrageously bizarre question. :) Probably parentheses, because I often add qualifiers or disclaimers when I'm presenting information

Q: Do you like your handwriting?

No, it’s absolutely awful. I admire people with gorgeous, neat script. Thank The Lord for computers.

Q: What's your next project?

It's a dark fantasy featuring a young, cocky and sarcastic necromancer who isn't the evil, shadowy figure you've read about before. Something sinister and not of this world is attacking the city. But that's not his only problem: an untrained apprentice is foisted upon him - a girl no less, someone is trying to kill them, and they stumble into an elaborate political scheme. Can they stay alive long enough to figure out how and why these events are related, and destroy the creature before thousands die?


Ocean of Dust

Fourteen-year old Lissa is snatched from her home and finds herself a slave on a trading ship traveling on a waterless ocean of nothing but gray dust. A feisty, curious and intelligent girl, her desire to explore the ship earns her the hatred of the cruel first officer, Farq.

Fascinated by the ocean of dust, Lissa becomes embroiled in its mysteries, sensing things that the crew cannot, while cryptic whispers in her head are leading her toward a destiny linked to the dust itself. Only one man aboard can help her make sense of her new talent, but can she trust him? All is not as it seems, and she must unravel the clues before it’s too late.

When a sinister plot casts her adrift on the barren ocean, her best friend is left in the hands of the treacherous crew. Everything hinges upon her courage, quick wits, and her ability to master her new talent.


Author Bio

Graeme Ing is a writer of fantasy and SF novels, both adult and YA. His first novel, Ocean of Dust is a YA fantasy.

Graeme is currently working on his second book, a horror fantasy hybrid, starring a cocky, sarcastic necromancer in a world of vicious undead and political machinations.

Born in England in 1965, Graeme lives in San Diego, California. His career as a software engineer and development manager spans 25 years, including the development of a dozen computer games for consoles, home computers and online. He is also an avid D&D nerd, armchair mountaineer, astronomer, mapmaker, pilot and general geek. He and his wife, Tamara, share their house with six crazy cats.


Useful Links

Twitter: @GraemeIng


Thank you, Graeme. I'm glad you found my punctuation mark question outrageously bizarre. I shall think of more! Now, where can we get that teleportation bracelet?

That's it for this week. I'll be back on Monday. Happy reading and writing, my friends.

10 comments:

  1. that was a great set of questions and responses... nice job. i sure hope the mouse never disappears, maybe a chip in our head that will allow us to move and design the ideas in our minds.

    Jeremy H.

    New Look, New Name and Same Stuff...
    [Being-Retro]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the interview. Ocean of dust sounds nice. I am always amazed at how some writers can get such awesome titles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Graeme. Wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie .. great interview of Graeme - and what a sensible place to live! I wonder what we'll be left with technically speaking in a decade or so .. and papers, sad but I guess they will disappear ...

    Cheers to you both and good luck with Oceans of Dust - having just cleaned I think I'll forget the dust aspect! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fantastic interview, Ellie. Super questions that caused me to rack my brain. Since Bezos just purchased the Washington Post, we can watch him to see how accurate my prediction is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interview, Graeme and Ellie! I want a teleportation bracelet too! And if they do get rid of landlines for phones, then they better put a cell tower or high speed internet connections at my house. We don't get cell signals nor have very fast internet without a satellite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graeme is awesome and I loved Ocean of Dust. I cracked up about the first three words to describe yourself, Graeme. :D Fun interview and I'm looking forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful interview. Graeme, you are charming too. Oh man, if I could do away with sleep, I'd be incredibly productive! Hm, I have a landline phone because I hate cells, a mouse because I dislike the touch pad, and I read paper newspapers because I like the crinkly sound. I'm in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted a teleportation device, too! Best thing ever (if it existed).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!