Monday, 12 August 2013

I blame 1970s sci-fi shows & disaster movies

I've been tagged by the awesome Christine Rains. I don't normally take part in these writer-based tags, but how could I say no to Christine?

The tag is very simple. Answer FOUR questions and tag FOUR awesome writers. Here we go:


Q: What are you working on right now?

I'm actually working on two projects - a post-apocalyptic novella and a nine-part science fiction serial. I've fallen in love with both of them, so it's tough deciding which to work on whenever I have the time. I don't have a date for the science fiction serial yet, but I'm planning to release the novella before the end of the year.

Q: Why do you write what you do?

I blame it all on Gene Roddenberry, William Shatner, and disaster movies. I grew up watching Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and numerous other 1970s out-of-this-world shows. I love anything to do with space or the end of the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom and gloom person. Quite the opposite. My fascination is with how the human or alien races deal with disasters or the exploration of space. It's about world-building and characterisation.

Q: What is the hardest part about writing?

Apart from finding the time or energy, for me it's proofreading. I'm terrible at it. I become so familiar with the text I don't see the errors that are practically screaming at me. Thank goodness for editors and proofreaders.

Q: What scares you?

Never succeeding at what I love to do. I want to make a living writing, rather than it be a hobby. So while I will remain true to myself and my writing, I want to also make money. I'm realistic enough to know that unless I do a Hugh Howey, I'm not going to earn a massive amount. That's okay. I only want enough to live on.


Now it's time to tag four awesome writer:





My question for the rest of you is, have you seen Sharknado yet? I'm watching it tonight. I love a horror film that's so bad, it's good.











I'll be back on Wednesday with an Indie Life post and this week's Speculative Fiction Writer, Mary Pax. Until then, happy sharking.

9 comments:

  1. I love how you've had this life long passion for your genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! You saw my play-by-play of that craptastic film.
    I blame all those things as well. Those were the bane of my TV and movie existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie .. wonderful you have so much passion for this genre and so much interest in how we as humans operate ..

    Good luck with all your plans and writing .. I think I'll give Sharknado an utter miss! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proofreading frightens the hell out of me too!!!! And I'm also working on 2 projects at once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how many writers and movie makers Gene Roddenberry inspired Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gene Roddenberry inspired a generation.

    I hope you survive Sharknado.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only seen clips of Sharknado, and I've read a lot of reviews. It is apparently so bad, it's bad (as opposed to the old cliché of "so bad it's good"). No stars for flying sharks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I also lean heavily on the editor crutch. :)

    Let us know what you think of the shark movie! I grew up with movies like Critters & Tremors--so sometimes the more ridiculous, the more I love it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the writing and I hope you may soon give up the day job. I am now what I suppose is described as elderly and I got into SF from movies like Destination Moon and Rocket Ship XL. We had no TV and if you did, all you could get was BBC, so no star trek or horror movies. So I read every book I could beg borrow or steal, with lurid SF covers, which usually had no connection with the stories inside. So keep them coming I am still a fan of the written word and will look out for your future books.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!