Wednesday, 14 August 2013

M Pax - Speculative Fiction Writer

If you're looking for this month's Indie Life post, please click here.


Journeying all the way from Spacedock 19 is this week's Speculative Fiction Writer, Mary Pax. She's also a fellow Untethered Realms member, and an awesome science fiction writer. Like Graeme Ing, she agreed to answer a few more unusual questions.



Q: What is your favourite part of the day?

Mornings. Hot tea, purry kitties, and my manuscript waiting to go at it.

Q: What three adjectives best describe you?

Tenacious. Ambitious. Supportive.

Q: If I came to your home and looked in your refrigerator, what would I find?

Mostly veggies.

Q: If you were a genie, what wish would you not grant?

Anything that hurt someone else or made the world a worse place.

Q: What would you do if you were the last person on Earth?

Leave some sort of memorial so the aliens or next kings of evolution would know who we were.

Q: If you were spending six months on the International Space Station, what five items would you take with you?

Engage Your Brain Tea. Camera. Netbook. Moisturizer. Chapstick.

Q: If you could write a book about your life, what would you name it?

Starstruck. Although, I don’t think it’d be very interesting, not unless I could include some alien invasions and giant human-eating reptiles. A sharknado or two wouldn’t be amiss either.

Q: Which of your characters best fits your philosophy in life?

Leda in Semper Audacia – never give up the fight, do the right thing even when it’s hard. Mostly my motto is never give up.

Q: What is your next big project?
  
Beyond the Edge, Backworlds 4 will be out this October.




After the war with Earth, bioengineered humans scatter across the Backworlds. Competition is fierce and pickings are scant. Scant enough that Craze’s father decides to hoard his fortune by destroying his son. Cut off from family and friends, with little money, and even less knowledge of the worlds beyond his own, Craze heads into an uncertain future. Boarding the transport to Elstwhere, he vows to make his father regret this day.




M. Pax is author of the sci-fi series, The Backworlds, and the new adult urban fantasy Hetty Locklear series. A Browncoat and SG fan, she’s also slightly obsessed with Jane Austen. In the summers she docents as a star guide at Pine Mountain Observatory where the other astronomers now believe she has the most extensive collection of moon photos in existence. No fear, there will be more next summer. She lives in stunning Central Oregon with the Husband Unit and two lovely, spoiled cats. 


Try The Backworlds for FREE! Available in all formats for all ereaders. 


Thank you, Mary. A sharknado would be cool! Swap the hot tea for coffee and I'd happily have your mornings as well.

That's it for this week, unless an issue I'm having with Amazon KDP isn't resolved. I'll tell your more in my next post. Have a great rest of the week.

17 comments:

  1. I know that awesome author! One of my favorite peeps.
    Moisturizer and Chapstick - must be dry in space.
    And nothing wrong with a fridge full of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, the three adjectives that describe you also describe me perfectly. And veggies are good for health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mornings too. And purry kitties!

    Great interview with Mary. I can't wait for the next Backworlds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic interview! Hot tea and purry kitties are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview. Mary's writing is awesome. Now I'll have to read SA and learn more about Leda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you always been a morning person, Mary? I'm curious if I can trick my mind into functioning first thing in the am:) I would add "brilliant" to your list of adjectives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's dry in the desert, Alex, and on planes, so I assume the space station would be dry. I have sensitive skin.

    I like veggies, Rachna. My dad always had a huge garden when I was a kid. I missed veggies a lot when I went to college, and that's what I'd want to eat most when I came home.

    My cats are really pissed at me this morning, Julie. I taxed their last bit of patience...

    I'm so glad I switch to tea, Cherie. I feel so much better. I love my Yurba.

    All of my characters have part of me in them, Catherine. Sometimes more than I think. Husband Unit likes to point that out. Craze and I actually have a lot in common, too. I'm not as materialistic as he is, but I understand ambition.

    No, I'm actually more naturally a night owl, Sam. But I'm most 'on' in the morning and the most productive. Since I write in the morning, I enjoy that quite time with my manuscript... and cats demanding my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starstruck... what a great title for your autobiography! And I think it would be an inspiring read for anyone who has a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay mary! love 'starstruck!' perfect!
    and leda is a fighter! bet she has some 'm' in her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Loretta

    Most likely, Tara. I think her flare for melodrama is like me, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great writer Ellie. Mary, if your life is like Sharknado then we gotta hang out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I love that you'd take chapstick to the space station! I'd never have thought of it despite the fact I use it all the time (Egypt's very dry). I really enjoyed reading your interview. I'm wishing you all the success in the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview! I wouldn't grant wishes like those either. I think every story needs a sharknado of some sort! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview. Readers should also look up Mary Pax's astronomy photos on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I just got back from the beach and my lips are sooo chapped, so I understand the need for chapstick! Good interview, Ellie. Your book sounds very interesting M.Pax.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being a vegetarian, I like the 'mostly veggies' response.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview - Mary is such a fine writer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!