Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Speculative Fiction Writer - Angela Brown's Top Ten Rereads

Today I'm welcoming the talented and always fun, Angela Brown. For this week's Speculative Fiction Writer post, she's going to talk about the books she'd reread. Perhaps at the end, you can share yours with us? Over to you Angela.


 
Top Ten Rereads for author Angela Brown 

Hey Ellie! *waves*
 
Thanks so much for having me here today. I’d like to share a list of books that I would reread without hesitation. Not just because of the writing. Although writing is important with most of my choices, it’s the story in each that draws me to these titles and makes me drool to read them again.

1.       The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis – Yes, I mean the entire set from The Magician’s Nephew to The Last Battle and every tale in between. This is where I fell in love with reading, and though my tastes have broadened, this is the base to which I love to return.

2.       Animal Farm by George Orwell – I’m one to share very, very little when it comes to political thoughts, however, having read this book, I can’t help wondering if I’ll get to see the book’s ending in my lifetime. It’s happened before and it’s primed to happen again.

3.       The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey – Dragons. Ahem, nuff said J

4.       The Color Purple by Alice Walker – This is one of the few books I read after watching the movie and was able to love both of them equally.

5.       Mistress of the Stone by Maria Zannini – A beautiful female captain to a crew of feared pirates, a sexy shifter, and loads of action between the two of them. Oh and the story ROCKS! Yes, a DEFINITE must reread.

6.       Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card – The writing, coupled with the story, blew my mind. I would love to reread and have my mind blown away yet again.

7.       Addicted by Zane – Just. So. Darned. Sexy Hotttt!!!! (fan please!!)

8.       A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin – I’ll admit the man is a writing genius, but because of my own infatuation with a certain Stark, book 1 is where my rereading would end because, well…it’s just too painful going any further (*sniffle*, Yes, Starks, winter is coming.)

9.       Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers – Assassin nuns! What? Yep, I’d have to reread this wonderful tale of the handmaidens of Death.

10.   The Gunslinger by Stephen King – This first book in The Dark Tower series really made me look at Stephen King as more than a king of horror writing, but a master of writing. Period. It has been a very long time since I read this novel yet I know I could pick this up from book one and devour the pages, cover to cover, until I get to the end of what has been published. I must admit, I reached a point of major chagrin with the time King took in getting the series worked so I look forward to a chance to start anew.

So what books would you pick up and reread for a wonderful word-satisfying-fix? 

Odd as it may sound, I would love to reread my story Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers series). Not because it’s a story I wrote, but because it is a dark and twisted story sprinkled with action and a little romance, something I know I’d want to read. Then I’d follow up with They All Fall Down, the novella sequel in the Shadow Jumpers series.
  
About They All Fall Down 

Abby and Basil moved on from their pasts as a Cleanser and Harvestor, learning to enjoy life in sunny San Diego, CA, a far cry from dark nights crossing in between life and death to protect lost souls...or steal them.  

In the shadows, Q, the new master of hell, embraces his role as the Devourer. With a crave that refuses to be denied, he sets a plan in motion to claim his deepest desires for the fall of mankind and the one woman constantly slipping from his grasps: Abby.  

True love is put to the test and salvation is only possible if Abby and Basil choose the right path. Or the world could be destined for, “ashes, ashes, we all fall down.”  

***This new adult paranormal romance contains sexual situations, a few swear words, and is not recommended for readers under the age of 18.*** 

Amazon | B&N 

About the author 

Born and raised in Little Rock, AR, Angela now calls Central Texas home. She's a lover of Wild Cherry Pepsi and chocolate/chocolate covered delicious-ness. Steampunk, fantasy and paranormal to contemporary - mostly young adult - fill her growing library of books. Mother to a rambunctious darling girl aptly nicknamed Chipmunk, life stays busy. Her favorite quote keeps her moving: "You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result." ~ Mahatma Gandhi 

Facebook | Twitter | Blog


Thank you, Angela. You certainly got me thiking. I'd happily reread Ender's Game, and any Stephen King book. But my top ten rereads would be (in no particular order): The Stand by Stephen King, Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, Wool by Hugh Howey, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, Up Till Now by William Shatner, Voyagers I, II or III by Ben Bova, Starters by Lissa Price, and The Debt Collector Season One by Susan Kaye Quinn.

That's it for today. I'll be back on Friday with a rather puzzling cover reveal from Lexa Cain.

20 comments:

  1. I loved this post! My husband would read happily Ender's Game again, too. It's story that draws me in as well, which is why I'd read The Book Thief, The Light Between Oceans, all the Chronicles of Narnia, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane... this list could go on and on, but I'll stop here. Thanks for getting me thinking about books I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :-) I see we have the Chronicles of Narnia in common lol!

      Delete
  2. The Gunslinger?! Me, too! It was my freshman year in college. (Yeah, didn't read much as a kiddo.) But I wasn't getting the college thang, so I picked up my first SK book and WHAM! I knew I needed to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Gunslinger sort of surprised me since I was thinking SK only wrong horror. He is so freaking talented it's just ridiculous :-)

      Delete
  3. Yeah for Angela!
    I admit I rarely re-read books. So many new ones, so little time. I have re-read my favorite Shannara books by Terry Brooks though. And I did re-read LOTR and Narnia before each movie was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put LOTR on the list but I figured I better stop at ten before the list got too long lol!!

      Delete
  4. Re: Mistress of the Stone
    Well, first of all, Thank You! :)

    Secondly, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series will go down as one of my all time favorites. She was the kind of writer I wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Maria. I truly enjoyed that story :-)

      And yeah, I should have read her works several years ago, but I read the Dragon riders series in the last few years and really want to read them again.

      Delete
  5. Great picks for rereads! A few I've not heard of and now I must pick them up. Assassin nuns. Oh yeah! The Harry Potter is my number one reread. A Game of Thrones and The Gunslinger are up in my top ten too. I love the Starks too, but Daenyrus, Jon, and Tyrion keep me reading on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister are such wonderful characters. And Daenyrus, I've been told, flourishes. I may have to give the rest of the Song of Fire and Ice series a true attempt :-)

      Delete
  6. Like Alex, I find it hard to reread with hundreds on new books on my TRB list! But, i do like to reread children's books when I come across them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are so many wonderful books popping up all over the place.

      Delete
  7. I reread the Pern books so many times, I wore them out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished re-reading Game of Thrones. I also love that particular Stark but still plan on going through the rest of the series again too. It's really rare for me to re-read anything but I'm obsessed with ASoIaF.

    Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read most of the books on your list. I liked King's The Gunfighter, but he lost me with some of the later books and I stopped reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pics. I'd definitely read all the Harry Potter books again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ender! I don't think I'll be able to re-read the GoT books. Once you've had your heart ripped out it's tough to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Ellie and Angela,

    Oh my, a number of those recommendations are books I haven't even read for the first time. I do note Stephen King. Yes, the author who took the run-on sentence to places it'd never been before.

    I'd quite like to reread, "The Chrysalids", by John Wyndham. And your book, Angela. Thankfully, I'm barely old enough to read it.

    And yes, the puzzling posting for Lexa on Friday. I guess we'd better take time zones into some sort of account.

    Thank you, you lovely ladies.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the original short story Ender's Game several years ago. It was published in the1970s by Analog. I still remember it all these years later: Ender, the strategies they used, Bean. That was quite the short story, for to remember it without reading the novel version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angela is so awesome. :) I loved NeverLove. Looking forward to reading the new one.

    I reread Anne of Green Gables a lot. I'd reread Dune. I've reread Steppenwolf several times and would again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!