Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Christine Rains - Speculative Fiction Writer



Today I'm thrilled to be interviewing The 13th Floor writer Christine Rains. She's also a fellow Untethered Realms member. Over to you, Christine.





Q: Which three words best describe you?

A: Geeky, creative, loyal.

Q: If I came to your home and looked at your bookshelves, what would I find?

A: You'd be there quite a while! I have several books stretching across the genres. Paranormal romance, horror, fantasy, science-fiction, and contemporary. I have all my textbooks from university: psychology, sociology, and philosophy. Plus my husband has two bookshelves full of gaming books.

Q: What are your top five cheesy movies?

A: In no particular order: Tremors, Con Air, Ghostbusters, From Dusk till Dawn, and The Fifth Element. (My husband and I debated quite a while about the definition of cheese. Some films he thought were cheesy are classics in my mind!)

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world this year, where would you go?

A: The United Kingdom. Are you offering me a ticket? :)

Q: What is your greatest achievement?

A: My son. (Does that qualify as a cheesy answer?!)

Q: Are any of your characters demanding another story?

A: Yes. A few of my 13th Floor residents want another. I also have a witch from a paranormal romance trilogy I wrote that is angry I haven't rewritten her story yet.

Q: Are you a plotter, pantser, or something in between?

A: Pantser. And I love it! All my note-making comes after the first draft is done.

Q: What is your next big project?

A: Right now I'm working on revising two novels: a paranormal romance (a demon-run funeral home for supernaturals) and a superhero story (big villain comes to small city where the heroes try to gain fame by taking her on). I plan to start querying this year. Yikes!

Thanks so much, Ellie! This was a lot of fun.


Blurb:

Six supernatural tenants
Living in a haunted apartment building
On a floor that doesn't exist.

Six novellas telling their tales.

A retired demon acquires a price on his head. 
A werewolf is hunted by her pack.
A modern day dragonslayer misses his target.
A harpy challenges Zeus for the soul of the man she loves.
A vampire is obsessed with a young woman he can't find. 
A banshee falls in love with someone who's death she has seen in a vision.
And a sweet ghost must battle a primal monster to save them all. 

All the stories take place at the same time intertwining their lives together on the 13th Floor.

Includes “The Shadow,” a bonus short story.


Purchase links: Amazon / B&N / Kobo / Smashwords


Author Bio:

Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she's not writing or reading, she having adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She's a member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. The 13th Floor series is her first self-published series. She has eight novellas and twenty-one short stories published.



Thank you, Christine. Your cheesy films are all classics in my opinion, especially Tremors. Ticket to the UK? As soon as I make my first six-figure book sale, I'll order a private jet for you. Would be wonderful to meet in real life.

That's it for this week. Hope you have a great rest of the week. Happy reading and writing.

36 comments:

  1. I love reading interviews and getting to know more about some of my fave authors. And hey, Ellie, when you get that six-figure deal, can I just ride on your coat tails and tell people I knew you when? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she can fly us all out to England! :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview. Creative and loyal fit me too, but not geeky :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Good luck with everything, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! It's going to be a novel year for both of us. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you again for the interview, Ellie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading that some of the 13th Floor residents are demanding more stories. Yay!
    Great interview and Christine has great taste in cheesy movies LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! Perhaps one day I'll return to the 13th floor, but the queue for stories is pretty long! *LOL*

      Delete
  6. I dig your cheesy movie list! Tremors IS a classic. And gaming books? Role-playing or other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! There are a lot of role-playing books. Plus some video game ones, and how to program games.

      Delete
  7. Awesome! Christine, this is just cruel. You're querying it? You mean I'm going to have to wait DECADES to read it? Cruel.

    Cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *LOL* Yes, I worry about the wait too, but I'm going for smaller publishers, so hopefully it won't be too long.

      Delete
  8. Great interview, Ellie. Christine, absolutely loved the 13th floor series. Loved your "Taking Time" too, Ellie. Both of you are destined for great things as authors. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Graeme! You're wonderfully talented too. Glad we have each other in the UR group. :)

      Delete
  9. Christine impresses me so much with the amount she writes while raising a little one. And Tremors is a classic and the reason I love Kevin Bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I'm a fast writer! Thank you, Susan. And yes, I loved Kevin in Tremors. :)

      Delete
  10. Loving the sound of your demon-run funeral home thing. :) Maybe especially 'cause I just started re-watching 6 Feet Under? Not that the Fishers are demons ... haha

    Good luck with your novel revisions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trisha! I loved Six Feet Under. Now I want to rewatch it too. :)

      Delete
  11. Hey! Those aren't cheesy movies -- I love those movies! Good luck with your upcoming projects, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lexa! (Still haven't heard back from your agent, but at least I'm not checking my email every ten minutes! *LOL*)

      Delete
  12. Christine, if you're a geek...your the hottest geek I know! *waves to ellie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you do know how to sweet talk a gal. This is how you lure people in to your interviews, isn't it?! ;)

      Delete
  13. Good interview, but now I must add 13th Floor to my ever growing must read list. Amazingly there were two more Tremors movies, which was the cheesiest? (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, snafu. Hope you get a chance to read it soon. The first Tremors was classic, but the sequels not so great.

      Delete
  14. Great interview! I love The Fifth Element and cannot say anything with the word 'multi' in front of it without wanting to go 'Multi-pass!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! The Fifth Element is awesome. :)

      Delete
  15. Christine, I must protest: Ghostbusters is a classic. The Monster Squad (which I adore) is cheesy. Also, I'll second Trish - the demon-run funeral home sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mina! Ghostbusters is a classic, but a giant marshmallow man is pretty cheesy!

      Delete
    2. GAH! How can you POSSIBLY say that????? ;-)

      Delete
  16. I'm a panster two, I try to plan but it has to come to me in layers, organically. I just can't do more than a very lose outline for anything. Great interview Christine, and I'm still reading this collection, two left and loving t! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Shah. If I plan or talk about it to much, I lose interest.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!