Monday, 6 January 2014

What's Your 2013 Bookgasm?

Every year I select a book that gave me a bookgasm. The book that was so satisfying, so hot, I could read it again and again and again... The book I wanted to take to bed with me every night. Okay. Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away with this bookgasm thing. Control yourself, Ellie.

In 2013 there were two books vying for the Bookgasm Award: Wool by Hugh Howey and The Charge by Sharon Bayliss. It was a tough choice - the first in a post-apocalyptic trilogy that's earned the author over 500,000 Kindle sales and a six-figure print-only contract, thus breaking new ground in the literary world, or a science fiction, alternate history book set in the aptly named Texas Empire.

In truth both books gave me a bookgasm, and I could write a long list of reasons for each. But why do that, when you can go read them for yourself? Why take away the pleasure of discovering two exceptional works of fiction?

Both books were unique. Both were books I couldn't put down. Still, there has to be a winner. One of them has to be worthy of the ultimate luxury - 800-thread Egyptian sheets. Drum roll please. The winner of the 2013 Bookgasm Award goes to:


Why? Because there are two more installments you won't be able to resist reading. Sharon Bayliss - we need a sequel. Yesterday!

What about you? What was your 2013 Bookgasm?


Other News:

Write 1 Sub 1 returns for it's fourth year. Can you believe it? If you've never heard of W1S1, here's a link to the site. In short, participants aim to write and submit one story a week (or one a month) during 2014. It's an exciting challenge, and has an awesome team behind it.

Back in early December, I had the pleasure of being interviewed by one of W1S1's founders, Milo James Fowler. You can read the interview here.

David Powers King treated us to 'An Adventurous LEGO Recap of 2013's Knights of the Cosmic Table'. What a merry a gathering it was. Beam on over to find out what I and my fellow Knights got up to in Lego form.

Finally, are you taking part in Start the Year off Write? I discovered Sharon Abercrombie's genius idea to start the year off the way writers should, by writing, yesterday. There are 21 days of 21 writing exercises for picture book writers, middle grade writers and young adult writers. For every challenge you complete, you stand a chance of winning some awesome literary prizes. Don't worry, you have until January 31st to complete each entry.

That's it for today. Don't forget to call back this Wednesday, when 2014's first Speculative Fiction Writer is 13th Floor author Christine Rains.

30 comments:

  1. Milo started something awesome with Write1Sub1.
    I still haven't read Wool. I am so behind on my reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read Wool! It's a breathtaking work of fiction.

      Delete
  2. I am not taking place in any of the above - including reading those two books you mentioned. But I want to read both!! Thanks for the recommendation on the Texas one, hadn't heard of it. :)

    I did try to start participating in the Write1 thingy one year, but didn't get very far. I think I am a bit too gutless to actually submit stuff. Maybe I should do it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try Trisha. I did it the first year, and it helped to instill the daily writing discipline. Submitting is hard, but you never know until you try.

      Delete
  3. LOL!! The Bookgasm award should be an annual thing!

    Anyways - yay for starting your 2014 hitting the writerly trail running! Good luck with all your creative endeavours! You go, girrrrrrl!! Am loving your new avatar too!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Old Kitty! Perhaps I ought to the Bookgasms!

      Delete
  4. I would not go so far as to call the experience a cerebral orgasm,perhaps it is different for guys. My 2013 unputdownable book was Stephen King's 11.22.63. I have also had several put-down-and-don't-pick-up-again books last year, quite the opposite to the bookgasm thing, more an ugh! The nearest I have come to what you are describing was when I read the Hunger Games trilogy over one day and two nights. I was so glad they had been on a special offer and I had bought the set, or I would have been sitting outside my local bookstore at 6AM, alternately hammering on the door or chewing my fingernails, waiting for it to open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11.22.63 was an exceptional book, even for Stephen King. I can't even begin to comprehend the research he must have put in to write that book!

      Delete
  5. I have Wool on my TBR list. I read so many good books this past year, I can't pick one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to year Wool is on your list. It really is an exceptional book. I agree. It is hard picking one.

      Delete
  6. Two great books, one fun award. Wonderful choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation - I'm on the hunt for some new authors to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read the Wool trilogy, Kate. Exceptional books.

      Delete
  8. This one is still on my TBR list. Guess I'm moving it up to the top of the mountain. :)

    Have a fantastic new year, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! I'm honored to be your runner-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both on my TBR list and have so much reading to catch up on. But I better hop to it. Great choices :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always too many books to be read!

      Delete
  11. I must admit Wool left me a little cold. It was OK. I have been reading a bunch of Neil Gaimans and enjoying them very much indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Gaiman. I must put one of his on my TBR list!

      Delete
  12. I don't think I read a book that knocked my socks off.

    I should try Write1Sub1 one year. I used to write short stories all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, Diane. Short stories are my true love.

      Delete
  13. I still haven't read Wool. Is that bad of me?! I read a lot of great books out of my genre last year. I think the one series that sticks out is Chelsea Cain's Gretchen Lowell series. Female serial killer. Twisted and dark. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another set of books to add to my TBR list!

      Delete
  14. I have Wool, but haven't read it yet.

    Start the Year of Write and W1S1 sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read Wool. Amazing set of books.

      Delete
  15. Hi Ellie - this must be the year of the Read for me .. then I might have a choice for next year?! Though Wool has always hit me between the eyes, when I see a write up about it .. so obviously one I must get .. and then Sharon's book ... you had such reading both - it shines out ..

    Enjoy 2014 - with lots more publications .. all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read both. They are both exceptional.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!