Wednesday, 26 February 2014

An Interview With Moonlit Author, Jadie Jones



Today I'm thrilled to be interviewing Moonlit author, Jadie Jones. She's a talented writer and also an awesome friend.






Hi Jadie. Can you believe it's nearly a year since you last visited with me? I can't wait to find out how things are going with you and your writing. Sit down and make yourself comfortable. Here we go:

Q: Tea, coffee, or something else?

A: Tea!

Q: Which three words would you use to describe your publishing journey over the last year?

A: Tremendous, humbling, and educational

Q: Last year you said the world of publishing was like an ocean, and that you were finding your rhythm. How would you respond now?

A: In the last year, I’ve better learned how to roll with the hurry-up-and-waits of author life, and I credit a lot of that to building a network with other authors who I can go to with questions. I’ve also set some long-term career goals for myself, which plots a rough map into the big blue. So, yes, it still seems like an ocean, vast and mysterious. But now I feel more confident steering my ship.

Q: Has your writing process changed in any way?

A: My writing process has changed so much. Books 1 and 2 were drafted and revised completely “panster” style, not because I believe in spontaneous drafting above outlining, but because that’s what came naturally. I am currently drafting Moonlit book 3, which is told in multi POVs, and I “forecast” the main objectives for about 3-4 chapters at a time before I begin drafting. I’m also a lot faster to cut. I used to cling to favourite parts and pretty lines. Now, they’re the first to go.

Q: When does the sequel to Moonlit come out?

A: Book 2 – currently dubbed Windswept – is slated for a summer-2014 release. I am waiting on pins and needles for a release date and my cover. I expect to hear soon!

Q: When you first wrote Moonlit, was it always going to be part of a series?

A: Sort of. When revising Moonlit, the true heart of the story came to the surface, and I realized the journey Tanzy would take was more complex than I could sew up in one book. The scope of the journey was wider, and of course more people/creatures would be involved than the original cast of characters. This is an apocalyptic situation, after all.

Q: Which of your characters best fits your philosophy in life?

A: There’s a new character named Jayce who is introduced at the end of Moonlit. She plays Tanzy’s sidekick in book 2. She and I are different in many ways in terms of personality, but our bigger philosophies are similar. She doesn’t tolerate lying or secrets. During conflict, she tries to respond without reacting, if that makes sense, but she still has an impulsive streak. She’s one of my favourite characters to write, probably because I understand her motives on a different level.

Q: You're currently writing book three in the Moonlit series. Are you planning to write any more or will you be starting another project?

A: I hope to wrap up the main series in three books. I’m a little worried about the light-speed pacing in book 3. Every ball I’ve thrown in the air in the first two books is coming down for a landing. My foremost goal with book 3 is to thoroughly satisfy the Moonlit tribe. This third book is truly for them. If my beta readers think the story needs a little more breathing room, then there will be a fourth book to allow the story to unfold in a better way. I’m considering a spin-off series and a prequel, but after the main series wraps, I am going to take a break from these characters and give a couple of new project ideas some attention.

Q: Finally, what is your favourite writing quote?

A: The entire book “Bird by Bird,” by Anne Lamott. But if I had to pick just one of her pearls, it would be this: “E.L. Doctorow said once said that 'Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.' You don't have to see where you're going, you don't have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you. This is right up there with the best advice on writing, or life, I have ever heard.”


Ellie, thank you so much for all your support. I enjoyed answering these questions and reflecting on the last year. I am blessed to have met you, and I admire you and your work so much. *raises a mug of tea* Here’s to the next year for us both!


Moonlit Summary

Eighteen-year-old Tanzy Hightower knows horses, has grown up with them on Wildwood Farm. She also knows not to venture beyond the trees that line the pasture. Things happen out there that can’t be explained. Or undone. Worse, no one but she and the horses can see what lurks in the shadows of the woods.

When a moonlit ride turns into a terrifying chase, Tanzy is left to question everything, from the freak accident that killed her father to the very blood in her veins. Broken and confused, she turns to Lucas, a scarred, beautiful stranger, and to Vanessa, a charming new friend who has everything Tanzy doesn’t.

But why do they seem to know more about her than she knows herself?


Author Bio

Georgia native Jadie Jones first began working for a horse farm at twelve years old, her love of horses matched only by her love of books. She went on to acquire a B.A. in equine business management, and worked for competitive horse farms along the east coast. The need to write followed wherever she went.

She currently coaches a hunt seat equitation team that competes in the Interscholastic Equestrian Association, and lives with her family in the foothills of north Georgia. When she's not working on the next installment of the Moonlit series, she is either in the saddle or exploring the great outdoors with her daughter. Moonlit, book #1 in the Moonlit trilogy, is her first book. The sequel, Windswept, has been accepted by WiDo Publishing, and is due for release mid-2014.



Thank you, Jadie. I'm raising a mug of coffee (I'm a coffee drinker!) in return. It was so great hearing about your journey over the last year. It sounds as if a lot has changed, but at the same time you still know where you're headed. As you say, steering your ship. An awesome analogy. I'm looking forward to seeing the cover for your next book and reading it. 

I'm back on Friday with a cover reveal from Simon Kewin. I've already seen the cover for Hedge Witch. It's stunning. Until Friday, happy reading and writing. 

7 comments:

  1. Trilogies seem to work best, but you don't want to rush it either. Good luck with the next book in the series, Jadie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! I realized I was overcomplicating one of the main lines and I think it's going to flow very nicely now. Whew!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful interview! I agree with Alex that trilogies work best. A magical number! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trilogies best, too. That's my goal!

      Delete
  3. Jadie, the series sounds very exciting. What the heck is in the trees? And I love any cover with horses on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Book 1 is very much a puzzle, so if you like the supernatural with a heavy dash of mystery, this should be right up your alley. My cover artist, Steven Novak, truly outdid himself.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for having me, Ellie! You have been a rock of support this past year :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!