Monday, 3 February 2014

For the love of all things fictional, get writing!

Do you want to know how many new words I wrote in January? The answer is zero. Yes. You read it right.

I have a long list of excuses. Tiredness. Work pressure. Personal issues. Last year. The weather. The Walking Dead on a mid-season break. The wrong colour post-it notes. I could go on. In all seriousness, only the first four reasons were valid. I won't look back at 2013 with many fond memories, though there were good memories in with the bad. Work has only now quieted down after the Christmas rush and stock take. I have been struggling with personal issues. I have felt exhausted.

Here's the thing - I do want to write. Writing is what calms my soul. It's what I was made to do. On January 31st I thought, 'Why I am not writing? How can I move past all the non-writing stuff and make the time to write?' The answer was simple. I decided to stop spending so long dwelling on all the things stopping me from writing and just write. So, February 1st I wrote 500 words. Yesterday, I wrote another 500. Today I will write more. It is that easy.

If you're struggling to find the time, for the love of all things fictional get writing. Don't waste time on thinking about what's stopping you. Think what you could do with that time instead; the literary masterpieces and exotic worlds you could create.

So, how was your January? Did you achieve what you set out to do? If not, what prevented you? What will you do differently in February?

30 comments:

  1. I haven't written in 2 weeks. No excuses - just laziness. Thanks for the kick in the butt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Li. I think we all need a reminder now and again.

      Delete
  2. Well, I haven't written any new words since adding "The End" to my second novel last March. But I don't feel bad about it because there's a whole world of writing-related stuff to do after "The End" and I'm OK with that as long as I'm doing something to progress along the road to publication.

    Whatever your goals are, the only way to reach them is to stop fretting about reasons not to, and just do it. Whatever "it" is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I aimed for five hundred words a day and hit it - but that's not enough! Must write more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five hundred words a day equals 182,500 a year. An amazing amount when you see it that way.

      Delete
  4. I wrote some in January but due to unforeseen reasons, not as many as planned. Managed a 1000 or so over weekend so keeping going. Sometimes it is hard not to let life stop us. Good luck and remember small steps all add up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't achieve as much as you hoped, Suzanne. You make a valid point, though. Small steps do add up.

      Delete
  5. I finally got back to writing yesterday. Now I just have to keep going!

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been finding it difficult to motivate myself too. 2013 was not a good year .The way forward for me this year is competitions, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea, jabblog. I know when I was writing short stories for anthologies, they kept me writing.

      Delete
  7. I wrote in fits and starts over January. I think I fell into that all to easy to tumble into pit of first draft despair! I'm looking forward to really getting back into things though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the pit well. Just keep reminding yourself that it's okay for first drafts to suck. It's what you do with them afterwards that turns them into something truly amazing and unique.

      Delete
  8. January started off well for me, and I wrote nearly every day. The last week though I didn't write a thing, and for the same reasons you've listed here.

    Great advice though, when I get home I'll get on with some writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that feeling - I find setting daily or weekly targets really helps to motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Seeing that target in black and white is a great motivator.

      Delete
  10. I got past my goal for January in writing... not by much, but I did it. It was still a smaller number of words than any month in 2013 (excluding December - I don't get anything done in December, ever). And so I'm hoping I get more done in February! Good luck. I know you'll perservere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get anything done in December, so you did well. Here's hoping we both write more in February.

      Delete
  11. Time is always the writer's worst enemy, next to blocks and an addicting TV show. Setting up a daily goal of 1K or a chapter edit a (work) day does it for me. I make it a point not to write on the weekends if I can help it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like achievable goals, David. I also think it is important to have a non-writing day, not just for the non-writers in our lives, but also to re-charge those creative batteries.

      Delete
  12. I worked on promotion mostly in January and it wasn't fun. I'll be a lot more writing this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This fits perfectly into my current world! I launched a blog hop for March to concentrate on this subject in being grateful - grateful for the opportunity to write, think, create, etc... I need a kick in the lull of January/February, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog hop sounds perfect. Count me in.

      Delete
  14. I love to write, and do so with a passion. Good luck to you and your endeavours.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life has a habit of getting in the way of what you really want to or really have to do.
    Relax lay back and think of England. Hmm,maybe that is advice for something else, anyway no doubt the words will start to flow soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make me laugh, Snafu. I shall (lay back) and create new worlds!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!