Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Randy Lindsay - Speculative Fiction Writer



This week I'm delighted to be interviewing author of The Gathering and new writing friend, Randy Lindsay.







Hi Randy. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to visit with me. Are you sitting comfortably? Here we go:

Q: What is your favourite part of the day and why?

A: When my children get home from school. They are all excited to tell me what happened during the day and I love that.

Q: Which three adjectives best describe you?

A: Creative. Creative. Creative. And if that doesn’t work how about shy, creative, and funny.

Q: If I came to your home, would I find a room filled with all the things you might need in an apocalypse?

A: Well, not everything. We have a decently stocked pantry. We have alternate methods for cooking. And we have a smattering of gear that would be helpful in an apocalypse. But we are working on doing better.

Q: Armageddon, Deep Impact, or neither?

A: Armageddon. Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and Steve Buscemi really made the movie fun. However, if we are talking about my favourite apocalypse movie of all time then it has to be Mad Max. The most realistic apocalypse movie is probably The Day After. My favourite apocalypse book is Damnation Alley, by Roger Zelazny. I know that’s more than you asked for, but I love stories about the apocalypse.

Q: What is your favourite writing quote?

A: Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. - Gene Fowler

Q: Which of your characters best fits your philosophy in life?

A: I don’t put myself in my stories. The characters that I write about are all smarter, stronger, and more popular than me. That being said, Robert is the character that I spent the least time creating. He flowed out of me without much conscious thought.

Q: Who created your cover art, and how much creative input did you have?


A: I should know that, but I don’t. My publisher, Cedar Fort, handled all of the work with the cover. I’m glad they did because it’s awesome. What you see on the front is the third cover they sent for me to approve. All of them were good.

Q: What is your next big project?

A: I have started the second book in the series and I think it is going to be even better than the first. I also have plans to self-publish the first book I wrote. Even though the publishers have hesitated to pick it up I believe that the readers will find the premise too interesting to resist. 


Book Blurb

Robert Williams didn't expect an early honorable release from his mission, but upon his return home, he sees the reason for the surprise decision. Unemployment, rampant violence, and frequent food shortages have put the United States on the brink of another civil war. As the threads of society unravel, the Williams family must adapt to drastic changes as the long-foretold gathering begins to take place.


Meet the Author


RANDY LINDSAY is a native of Arizona. He lives in Mesa with his wife, five of his nine children, and a hyper-active imagination. His preoccupation with “what if?” has led him to write speculative fiction. Although The Gathering is his first novel, Randy has had short stories published in Penumbra e-zine and several anthologies during 2013. If you want to find out more you can check him out at RandyLindsay.net




Thank you, Randy. I also love apocalyptic films and stories, so I will be checking out The Day After and Damnation Alley. Congratulations on your release and the stunning cover.

That's it for this week. I'll be back on Monday. Until then, happy reading and writing.

12 comments:

  1. The book sounds great. And you never know, a civil war in America could happen. However, I don't believe it would be as pleasant as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there won't be another civil war, because I think you're right Shelly.

      Delete
  2. Nice to meet you, Randy. Great interview, and totally fun! Love the sound and cover of your book. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super interview. Nice to meet you, Randy. Good luck with your book. It really intrigues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine children?! When does he have time to write? :)

    I also wanted to thank you Ellie for the beautiful poem you left on my blog. It really touched me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said the same thing! How DOES he find the time?

      I'm so glad my words brought you comfort. Any time you need to talk, I'm here for you.

      Delete
  5. Randy sounds like a busy guy. I like Armageddon too. Congrats on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must be incredibly organised or able to write anywhere and at any time!

      Delete
  6. Good interview, the book sounds scary. Since much of the population of Britain here are currently living through what to them is an apocalyptic event and having been nearby during last year’s Oklahoma tornadoes, the cover evokes a very menacing image to my present state of mind.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!