Friday, 25 April 2014

Want To See Where Alex J. Cavanaugh Writes?

On the last Friday of every month, one of my writing friends will be giving us a sneak peek at where they weave those magical words into the books we love. I'm beyond thrilled to have Alex J. Cavanaugh as my first Where I Write guest. Over to you, Alex.

Hey Ellie! Thanks for asking me to kick off your new feature. I’m honored.


NaNoWriMo taught me to construct first drafts on the computer, so that’s where I do most of my writing. I try to keep the area clean and my StarCraft figures stand guard against intruders.


I can’t talk about writing without showing you my guitars though. (Well, a couple of them. I own many. Probably too many.) I always practice before I begin writing to clear my mind. Nothing like a good jam session to put me in the right frame of mind.

I’m currently working on another space opera, which is set apart from my Cassa series. Ironically, I never intended on becoming an author. But this journey has been nothing short of amazing.

Thanks, Ellie – you rock!

CassaStorm
By Alex J Cavanaugh


 From the Amazon Best Selling Series!

A storm gathers across the galaxy…

Commanding the Cassan base on Tgren, Byron thought he’d put the days of battle behind him. As a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the desert planet, Byron’s ideal life is threatened and he’s caught between the Tgrens and the Cassans.

After enemy ships attack the desert planet, Byron discovers another battle within his own family. The declaration of war between all ten races triggers nightmares in his son, threatening to destroy the boy’s mind.

Meanwhile the ancient alien ship is transmitting a code that might signal the end of all life in the galaxy. And the mysterious probe that almost destroyed Tgren twenty years ago could return. As his world begins to crumble, Byron suspects a connection. The storm is about to break, and Byron is caught in the middle…

Science fiction/adventure and science fiction/space opera
Print ISBN 9781939844002 $16.95
eBook ISBN 9781939844019 $3.99


Find CassaStorm: Barnes and Noble / Amazon / Amazon Kindle / Goodreads / Book trailer


Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design and graphics. He is experienced in technical editing and worked with an adult literacy program for several years. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The author of the Amazon bestsellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm, he lives in the Carolinas with his wife.

You can find Alex here: websiteTwitter & IWSG


Thank you, Alex. It is I who is honoured. Your desk looks cool and a great place to write. Seeing a picture of your guitars reminded me of the recording of you playing I won. I've just listened to it again. You rock! I can understand how playing helps to clear your mind and focus you on your writing.

That's it for this week. I'll be back on Monday. Until then, happy reading and writing.

44 comments:

  1. I am not surprised that Alex likes to keep his desk clean. Anyone who gets through as much as he does couldn't afford any clutter to derail him.
    And I love the thought of a jam session before every writing session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the sneak peek at the ninja liar. Great idea for a feature, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That desk looks way too clean, Alex. Just wondering if mini-Alex ever hangs out with your action figures. BTW - we knew you had more books to write. . .
    Nice to see Alex here, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what DG said: too clean, lol.
    Music as the link to creativity seems to be a common factor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elephant, that's exactly why it needs to be clean and organized.

    DG, Mini-Alex is on the desk - my bad for not taking his photo.

    Thanks again, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the guitars. I wish I could keep my space as uncluttered as Alex's.
    At the end of the A-Z I'll sort my area out.
    This is a great idea, Ellie. We must all be interested in each other's work space. I'd clean mine up first, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a nice cozy spot for the computer.

    I see so many things here I've seen reference to before (on various blogs) and am just now putting together with Alex. Nice to see him featured. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I'm looking forward to the day I have a desk area to write. Love the guitars - my son would be jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just how many guitars is too many?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellie, a neat idea for a feature.

    Alex, I pictured you for a clean desk. You'll have to share a photo sometimes of ALL you guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are the space figurines for inspiration? I have a cat sleeping over my wrist while I'm writing now, very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clean and uncluttered? Cool.
    No sticky notes/slips of paper laying around/pens/pencils/notebooks...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the peek into Alex's world. I love this new feature! Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you work in an area that's so... clean?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, we've seen where Alex writes, now where's Alex? We've seen that guy in the shadows enough, but what about the real Alex? And maybe more importantly where's the large office and all the clones that do all the things that Alex Inc. gets done. Don't give me that clean desk thing. I think Alex is really a corporation that consists of a lot of workers.

    Hmmm-- maybe I should clean up my desk area some....

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane, a half dozen.

    Cathrina, yes they are.

    Michelle, only when I'm working.

    Andrew, I can't stand clutter.

    Lee, some secrets can never be revealed...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hah! You saw my blog post last week. My desk is messy. It always has been messy and always will be messy. It keeps me creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alex's work space is nice and tidy! Just what I expected. I can't wait to hear more about the new space opera!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alex's desk ... I got to see Alex's desk!!!

    *faints* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alex's desk is neat, just the way I imagined it would be. No wonder he writes so fast. Thank God Alex won't be able to see my messy desk, else this Ninja Captain would ask one of his clones to make sure that I clean it everyday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow seeing Alex's computer is like looking in the heart of Scotty's dilithium intermix chamber which powers the entire ship. I'm totally awed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! I loved the action figures. Nothing like a visual aid to keep you going, eh?

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, wish my desk was as clean as that! What a fab life you have with music and writing. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. David, next time I'll show you my chair.

    Rachna, I'd send a clone to clean it for you.

    Spacer Guy, that made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea for a series, Ellie. And it's great to see where the Ninja gets his writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. dude... what are the robot/toys?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice scoop. We finally get to see where the ninja magic happens.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice sneak peek! Thanks for sharing... and great idea for last Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a neat freak, too - if my space is cluttered, my head feels cluttered! I should try playing guitar before I write. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seeing Alex's space makes me want to go clean mine up. His is so neat. You picked a good one to highlight today.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jeremy, there are more, trust me! Plus Mini Alex.

    Liz, try it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. All that amazing brilliance in an itty bitty living space! I think I expected to see dual monitors and PC exhaust pipes. Perhaps there really are clones among us...

    ReplyDelete
  33. That workspace is too tidy for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, a peek at Alex's lair. What a total treat. Ellie - super cool idea for a feature. You'd totally laugh if you compared my world to Alex's. Clutter city. Too much to do, not enough time, too much sickness and bedrest. Stuff piles up. Everywhere. Sigh. I don't have action figures watching me, but I do have a Swedish troll and a moose Christmas tree ornament watching me, candles, and a great view out the window above my desk.
    I'm loving these comments, too.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a clean workstation! I'm impressed. Love the guitars. Alex, you should go see Last Lovers Alive because the musician in it has some badass guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jeff, I have the dual monitor at work!

    Tina, you need to be next.

    Will look for pictures of their guitars, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the info about our Ninja Captain, and that black guitar is really lovely. Yay for the new WIP! Good luck, Alex! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very cool glimpse into the Ninja inner sanctum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Alex and Ellie - neat and tidy .. and I like the idea of jamming before you settle to write .. and glad the StarCraft figures stand guard ...

    Sounds like the Space Opera will be a stand out series ... and fun to work on .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  40. "where I write" what an awesome concept! I look forward to seeing more visuals of where authors perform their creative magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. A writer after my own musical heart! Loving the guitars, Alex! I've got a baby grand piano behind my desk for musical inspiration:) No sci fi computer guards though--I've got owls on the night shift:) Love the new feature, Ellie, great idea!

    Cheers!
    WriterlySam
    Echoes of Olympus
    A to Z #TeamDamyanti



    ReplyDelete
  42. Lexa, that's not even my best one!

    Samantha, cool you use your piano for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the new feature! Alex, your desk is so neat! My husband and son are jealous of your guitars!

    ReplyDelete
  44. A ninja writing space would be tidy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!