Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Sharon Bayliss Character Interview


This week's Speculative Fiction Writer is one of my favourite authors, Sharon Bayliss. She recently released Destruction, Book One of The December People Series. 





I was thrilled to be able to interview one of the characters from Destruction -  a wizard called David. Please give him a virtual **wave** hello.

Hi, David. It's great having you here today. You're my first wizard interview. I have so many questions I want to ask you. I hope I won't get you into too much trouble with The Author!

Right. Here we go:

Q: How powerful a wizard are you?

That's a tough question…I really don't know. I'm new to the whole magic thing. Maybe I'm powerful, but I don't feel powerful most of the time. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Q: Do you have a favourite spell?

I have several least favorites that come to mind. However, occasionally I have been grateful to have magic on my side. The protective magic of talismans is quite beautiful, and it's helpful to be able to find lost children with the use of magic…although that doesn't always work very well.

Q: As a dark wizard, your spells usually mean misfortune for someone else to get what you want. How do you feel about that?

It sucks.

Q: You have two families, and one of them is a secret. How did that come about?

I'm not sure how you want me to answer that question. There's no answer I could give that would make it seem justified. Let's just say, I fell in love with two women and was too greedy and selfish to pick one. But, for the past 12 years I've been faithful to my wife. I like to believe that I am a different man now.

Q: How did your first family feel about bringing your two secret children to live with them?

*Laughs* They felt exactly how you might expect them to feel. I'm lucky to be alive and with all body parts intact.

Q: How far would you take your magic in order to protect those you loved?

I can't think of anything I wouldn't do to protect the people I love, magical or otherwise.

Q: I notice you do your best to be a good man and fit in with your local community. Are there any non-wizards who suspect your hidden powers?

I recently asked my brother about that. He said that the Mundane is actually a very powerful force. It's a dark and heavy shroud that very new non-wizards can penetrate. Magic occasionally peeks through the shroud, but it's just a brief glimpse. Besides, real wizard magic isn't quite as ostentacious as magic in books and movies, so it's easier for Mundanes to explain it away as luck, coincidence, or karma.

Q: You have many secrets. Do you sometimes wish you could just tell everyone the truth and not be fearful of the consequences?

Well, of course. However the "not be fearful" part of the question is what makes it hard. I'm a man with a lot to lose. And, it may make me a bad person, but I'd rather have my family than live in a world without lies.

Q: Do you use magic to ensure The Author writes your story?

Absolutely. There is no way she could have written this story without magic in play.

Q: Finally, if I were to visit with you, what spell would you show me?

The best spells for demonstration are the ones that we call "frivilous" or "show magic." Wizards can harness the ambient magical energy in themselves and the world around them to create light and colors. That would be the safest and most interesting spell to show you.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me and listen to my story.



Introducing a new dark wizard family drama, Destruction by Sharon Bayliss, Book One in The December People Series.

BUY NOW

An independent family-owned bookstore. The ONLY place to buy signed copies!

A locally owned book store in Austin, Texas.



David Vandergraff wants to be a good man. He goes to church every Sunday, keeps his lawn trim and green, and loves his wife and kids more than anything. Unfortunately, being a dark wizard isn't a choice.

Eleven years ago, David's secret second family went missing. When his two lost children are finally found, he learns they suffered years of unthinkable abuse. Ready to make things right, David brings the kids home even though it could mean losing the wife he can’t imagine living without. 

Keeping his life together becomes harder when the new children claim to be dark wizards. David believes they use this fantasy to cope with their trauma. Until, David's wife admits a secret of her own—she is a dark wizard too, as is David, and all of their children.  

Now, David must parent two hurting children from a dark world he doesn’t understand and keep his family from falling apart. All while dealing with the realization that everyone he loves, including himself, may be evil.

Destruction (Book One of The December People Series)




The Author

Sharon Bayliss is the author of The December People Series and The Charge. When she’s not writing, she enjoys living happily-ever-after with her husband and two young sons. She can be found eating Tex-Mex on patios, wearing flip-flops, and playing in the mud (which she calls gardening). She only practices magic in emergencies.



Thank you, David and Sharon. That was an illuminating interview. I didn't realise how difficult it is to be a wizard. I'm looking forward to reading The Author's... I mean David's story.

That's it for this week. I'll be back on Monday. Until then, have a great week.

7 comments:

  1. Show magic is safer, or he might turn you into a newt!
    Wanting two women? I don't even know how to handle one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the character's voice. So real and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the interview. I like the idea of a main character who doesn't know if he's the hero or the villain. Congrats to Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fleshed out character! Congratulations, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Sharon. Cool world and character. And a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun interview! I'm totally on board--dark wizards for protagonists? Heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments all! David is glad you approve. Thank you for having us Ellie.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!