Monday, 26 May 2014

Star Trekking

A non-writing post this Monday. I have lots of Star Trek and science fiction 'geekery' to share.


I nearly fainted with happiness a couple of weeks ago. I received an email announcing Destination Star Trek is returning to London in October of this year. I missed the event in 2012. You can be sure I'll be going to this one. Tickets go on sale June 2nd.

Hello Spock Kitty by yodaflickr

Are you on Pinterest? I love it. It's the perfect way to create visual inspiration boards for your writing or anything else that comes to mind. You can find my boards here. What I also love about Pinterest is finding stuff like the Spock Kitty above. Before the Trekkies among you get really excited, it isn't real. It's part of a series of visual creations. Check out these unusual Hello Kitty creations - there's something for every sci-fi fan.

Talking about visual creations, how about this for a bedroom?


I'm not sure how well you'd sleep, but that is one cool bedroom. Someone went to a lot of effort to create it. What do you think?

Finally, I have a new addiction. Science Uncovered. Every month they answer questions like, 'What would happen if the world stopped spinning?', 'How true are zombie films?', and 'Are there any naturally occurring materials that could support Spider-Man's weight, just like his web?'. I'm one happy Geek.


Have you read Science Uncovered? Are you subscribed to any magazines?

That's it for today. I'll be back on Wednesday with this week's Speculative Fiction Writer guest post. If you'd like to be one of my SFW guests, email me via my contact page. I have nobody booked for June.

10 comments:

  1. Don't miss Destination Star Trek again! And when you go, take lots of photos.
    That bedroom would've been so cool when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry - there will be hundreds of pictures!

      Delete
  2. Love the Hello Kitty Spock. I usually don't like cutsie things but there's something about Hello Kitty - must appeal to the inner child in me :) And love the bedroom AND the mag; that's something I'd want to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually into cute things, but those Hello Kitty Star Trek characters are genius. If only they made them.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite science magazines of all times was Omni magazine. I was so sorry to see it go. I like to read Popular Science, Scientific American and Discover magazines.

    PS Been trying to reach you but my emails keep bouncing back. I don't know if you've gotten any of my replies. I've been on the road for the past two weeks and will be gone again in a couple of days. Let me know if you've gotten any of my emails or FB emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen favourite science magazines come and go. Such a shame.

      Delete
  4. That is one cool bedroom. And I read New Scientist but Science Uncovered looks way more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the New Scientist. My only gripe (which really shouldn't be a gripe), is that they publish it every week. I can't keep up with the reading.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ellie .. you'll be in your element ... isn't the bedroom amazing - not for me .. but many would be happy to wake up to this experience .. cheers and are we on count-down til October!? Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We most definitely are on a countdown. Five months to go!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!