Monday, 16 June 2014

Amazon Breakthrough Novel News & Booktrack Hugh Howey Competition

I have exciting news to share in this week's blog post, with potentially life-changing news for one particular writer you all know and love.


Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award




Hart Johnson's A Shot in the Light is one of the five mystery & thriller semi-finalists for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (ABNA)! This is major news, and I cannot congratulate her enough. As Hart told me, she's fairly giddy at the moment. Relish every moment, Hart.

What happens next?


On July 8, Amazon Publishing will announce the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Finalists and voting will begin for the Grand Prize winner. So, keep everything crossed Hart is chosen as her category's finalist and then get ready to vote. In the meantime, you can see details of all the semi-finalists here and download a free excerpt from her ABNA nominated novel.


Booktrack Hugh Howey Competition



Have you heard of Booktrack: Soundtracks for Books? I hadn't until I received an email from them after they'd read a sample of one of my stories. I usually ignore emails from sites recommending their products, because most of the time they're not relevant or are trying to trick you into something you don't need or want. However, the email was professionally worded and contained links (a quick Google search verified the site's authenticity). So, I had a nose around their site and liked what I found.

In short, you upload fiction, add music, ambient sounds and effects from their 1000s of tracks, thus creating a soundtrack for your writing. Then you share it with their community of readers. It's about creating a different experience for your readers.

What made me excited was seeing that Hugh Howey had uploaded Sand Part One, along with a soundtrack. And there's more for all those Hugh Howey fans out there. Backtrack, Wattpad, Writer's Digest, and Hugh Howey have teamed up for a truly unique contest.


Create a soundtrack for or fan fiction story (with soundtrack) for Howey's Halfway Home. The competition is free to enter and has two awesome prizes - $5000 and editorial feedback from Howey or $5000 and a chance to soundtrack Howey's The Hurricane. The competition closes on July 31st.

Are you tempted by the competition or to try creating a soundtrack for one of your stories? I am, by both options. Have you read Halfway Home? I already have the book in my TBR pile, so it's going to be read soon.

That's it for today's post, but I'd love to hear the news from your part of the world.

22 comments:

  1. Wouldn't have time for the competition, but I have seen the site and it's a cool concept.
    Very excited for Hart!! Winning would be awesome for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is the problem. I suspect I need a Garratt clone.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to your friend, Hart!! That is fantastic news, and I wish her the best! Also, thanks for sharing Booktrack. How unique! Isn't it amazing what is being done with books these days?? Sorry I haven't been by in so long, Ellie. I do think about you often....hope that counts for something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does count, Becky. I don't think I've been by your blog in a long time, either. I'm on my way.

      I agree, the reading experience is being taken to a whole new level.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Hart Johnson. Soud effects for a text story, interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes reading a more immersive experience.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow!! Oh wow!! Oh wow!! Oh wow!! What brilliant news to start Monday with! Oh wow!! The lovely Hart so deserves this - what a star! So so happy for her! Wow. Just wow! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Ellie!!! And to your readers too--so nice of you to shout out!

    The Booktrack thing sounds very cool, but alas... my creative skills seem to begin and end with words. I can't do ANYTHING visual or aural. I just don't seem to process that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Hart. I'm so thrilled for you, I had to share.

      I can't draw and don't play any musical instruments, but music and art does play a huge role in inspiring me. When I find the time, I will have a go at creating a soundtrack. Whether it will be any good remains to be seen!

      Delete
  6. Booktrack sounds interesting! Congratulations to Hart. That's an incredible accomplishment. I think it's her second big achievement with this particular competition, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It is her second time around. I'm praying she goes all the way this time.

      Delete
  7. Very cool, I'd never even considered a soundtrack for any of my writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Even if it's just a list of songs that you listen to while writing for your own personal use. I tend to listen to Vangelis, especially when I'm working on my science fiction series.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!