Monday, 14 July 2014

Cherish the Moment

I experienced a magical moment a couple of weeks ago. A moment that took my breath away. When I left work on July 2nd there was a pink tinge to the air. I knew at once we Exmouthians were in for a stunning sunset. Occasionally dust from Africa is blown our way, and what you'll see below is my humble recording of the result.





As I sat by the estuary, just across the road from where I live, my thoughts turned to the people in my life who've passed away. The people - some family members, some friends - who I wished were still here. The friends and relatives I wished I could share this breathtaking moment with. Perhaps they were there by my side? I'd like to think they were.

What I realised at that moment is that we need to cherish not just the people we love, but all the individual moments in our lives. We go about our existence rushing from one thing to another, often seeing only the next week, month, or even year. Along the way, we stop living in the now. We make our lives more complicated than they need to be. We stop appreciating all the small, wonderful things that happen. A beautiful sunset. A phone call with a close friend. That morning cup of coffee and croissant you love. The list for each of us is endless. 

Over the last week, I've listened to groups of school children pass by my house on their way to the beach for a class field trip. How excited they were by the magical adventure they were embarking on. It reminded me of one of the things we often lose when we journey into adulthood - the ability to switch off from whatever else may be troubling us and experience only the now. I guess as writers and readers we are luckier than most. We do allow ourselves to be caught up by words and carried away on a magical adventure. For that, I'm grateful.

When was the last time you acted like a child? The last time you let go of all your cares and revelled in the moment?  

26 comments:

  1. Stunning photos, Ellie. No matter how vivid the sky seems to my eyes, I can never capture it on a camera like that. You must have some skills as a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Botanist. You probably won't believe me, but I took these pictures with my iPhone. I don't even own a camera. I'm often asked which camera I use. I think the sunset was so spectacular it wouldn't have mattered what camera I used.

      Delete
  2. Wow, oh wow. Those pic are gorgeous and and video - the color changing as you took it. You are right, we have to take those moments and really cherish them.

    My most recent awe of nature moment was when the edges of the hurricane came to town. The lightening streaking up and down, left and right was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how spectacular and scary seeing a hurricane up close must have been. I've watched a lightning storm track up the estuary, and felt the house I was in tremble as lightning struck nearby. Mother nature is an awesome force.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Ellie - such profound thoughts. You have wisdom beyond your years. Lived in the now. I need to remember to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex. Unfortunately, it's a wisdom that comes with aging. Often after losing the people most precious to us.

      Delete
  4. Stunning pictures, you are lucky to be able to live close to such a beautiful spot. Regards those no longer present, it seems to be the penalty of growing older. No doubt they are watching and going 'noooo!' each time we do something daft and feeling annoyed they can’t intervene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Snafu. I do feel blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

      I'm sure you are right about those we've lost. I often wonder what they would think of the life I'm leading and the choices I make.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photographs Ellie.

    You are quite right we don't take time to just live in the here and now. We get caught up in past events or are busy rushing towards the future.

    It wasn't until I gave up work due to illness that I could appreciate all the little things that we take for granted all of the time.

    A brilliant thought provoking post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. It's rather ironical that losing your health was the means by which you started appreciating the little things. It's the same way for people who have recovered from a life-threatening illness or lived through an accident or catastrophe. We shouldn't need for those things to happen to see the beauty that surrounds us, but most of the time we do.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you took these on your iphone. Beautiful!

    I understand exactly where you're coming from. You reach a point in your life, especially when you start losing some of the important people in your life, to reassess your priorities. We're only on this pony ride for a short time.

    Consider yourself lucky to have discovered this universal truth. Some people never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria. It is all about priorities. They change over time, and as our experiences shape us. If we're lucky, we discover what really matters before it's too late.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures and lovely sentiment. Cameras never catch the beauty my eyes see, so those must have been stunning in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. It really was breathtaking. One of those rare special events so easy to miss.

      Delete
  8. We rush through and miss those moments. Those moments of child-like wonder and excitement.

    The last time I acted like a child was a few nights ago. We purchased an air popcorn popper in May. When it's through popping, we unplug it and wait. There's a moment of silence before one or more kernels pop out. Sometimes they pop out of the bowl itself. I giggle every single time, which amuses my husband to no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you got to release the inner child.

      Delete
  9. Your pictures and your post were beautiful. Nearly every day when I'm done running I float in the pool and watch the birds in my backyard. Sometimes deer come out to eat in the backyard and a few times a bald eagle has flown over. It's quiet, peaceful and completely relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Susan. Nature is the best relaxant.

      Delete
  10. I agree that we should enjoy and appreciate the small, amazing things as well as the larger ones. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to stop dashing around worrying about tomorrow and just breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful sunset!

    On Tuesday, I acted like a child. I was bored at work, so I printed out a picture and colored it with crayons. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for telling me we had more Saharan dust ... someone in the States mentioned they had Saharan dust recently ... perhaps that's why my flat is so dusty and my car .. pain! But stunning photos - the iphone is amazing isn't it ..

    Cheers and let's enjoy this amazing summer weather ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Hilary. The dust is the downside to the beautiful sunsets.

      I'm always recommending my iPhone to people. Why carry around a separate camera, when theirs is so amazing?

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!