Monday, 6 October 2014

World Space Week, Destination Star Trek, & Other News

Did you know that October 4th - 10th is World Space Week? Founded by the United Nations in 1999, World Space Week celebrates the contributions of space science and technology to better humanity. There are a multitude of organised events that take place across the world. You can find further details here

I'd like to add my own humble contribution. If you haven't seen or heard Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech before, or even in a long time, take a few minutes to listen. It still gives me goosebumps.


October 3rd - 5th was Destination Star Trek 3, which was held in London. I had planned to go. Unfortunately, various reasons kept me from attending. I'm now holding out for the 50th anniversary celebrations in 2016. You can read all about it here. In the meantime, this advert featuring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy popped up on my radar. It's for a German advertising campagin, so you'll have to guess what they're saying (unless you speak German, of course). The language barrier doesn't really matter, though.


Other News


Talented author and friend, Julie Flanders has a new book release - The Turnagain Arm. Congratulations, Julie. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Polar Night's Aleksei Nechayev leaves war-torn Russia in 1917 and makes his way to Alaska. Settling in at a railroad camp, Aleksei comes up against an adversary who seems to know the truth about the newly-turned vampire's identity, and who soon gives Aleksei much more than he bargained for at The Turnagain Arm.


Cover design by Michael Di Gesu
Only 99 cents on Amazon Kindle

Book Blurb: 

Locomotive wheels screech to a halt. Potters Creek, Alaska is nothing more than a small camp set up alongside the tracks. A weathered sign dominates the scene.

The Turnagain Arm Saloon 

Est.1917

Only one passenger remains and exits.

The early afternoon full moon peaks through a shimmering snow fall as a shadow casts over each split rail. The wind howls, sweeping the cloak of a hooded figure. He follows   the tracks toward the distant saloon. A hulking man crunches through the snow, attracting his attention.

Calling out to him in a foreign accent, the townsman stops in mid step. The stranger catches up and engages him.

Until…

The man disappears under the stranger’s cloak.

Blood drips from his lips, and he wipes the remaining trickles from his mouth. After disposing of the body, the mysterious figure continues on his journey. He glides through the snow as if on a sleigh, leaving no footprints behind.


*          *          *          *          *


Within a short period, he convinces Vasyl, the owner of the saloon, to hire him. Aleksei charms everyone he meets. But soon mistrust enters every tense line on Vasyl’s face as others disappear, and his wife falls under Aleksei’s spell.

The classic game of cat and mouse continues, but who will win?

Is a mere mortal any match for Aleksei?

A spark ignites within Alexei after yet another of Vasyl’s attempts to disgrace him.

This man knows of me. He must be a witch. Aleksei laughs. You are no match for me or my plan.

About the Author: 




Julie Flanders is a librarian by day and a writer all the rest of the time. Julie is also a television show addict with a particular fondness for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead and a slightly obsessive sports fan who cheers for the Ohio State Buckeyes, the Cincinnati Reds, and the Cincinnati Bengals. She is a life-long animal lover and an animal rescue advocate and shares her home with her rescued dog and cat.

Julie’s published novels include the paranormal thriller Polar Night and the historical ghost story The Ghosts of Aquinnah. Both are available from Ink Smith Publishing. Polar Day, the sequel to Polar Night, will be published by Ink Smith in January, 2015.

Julie is a proud member of the speculative fiction writing group Untethered Realms. Meet the rest of the group and explore their books at the Untethered Realms website.

Please visit Julie at her website at julieflanders.net or contact her by email at julie@julieflanders.net. She can also be found on Twitter at @JulesFlanders.

Enter to win one of two prize bundles featuring a $15 Amazon.com gift card and an ebook copy of The Turnagain Arm. 

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Gwen Gardner has revealed the next two covers in her Indigo Eady Afterlife Series, and today is the launch day for Book 2, Ghostly Gallows. Congratulations, Gwen. I love these book covers.


Ghostly Gallows is available here:  Amazon / B&N / Google Play / iTunes  


Wow. So much awesomeness going on in the space and publishing worlds. I can't keep up with it all. Do you have any news you'd like to share? Are you taking part in World Space Week? Were you at Destination Star Trek 3 or have you been to a Star Trek Convention? I'd love to hear your Trek stories.

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations Julie and Gwen!
    I was following Destination Star Trek on Twitter. Some cool pictures were posted.
    And had no idea it was World Space Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wished I'd been able to go to DST 3. One day!

      Delete
  2. The Sagan thing is great isn't it? I'm looking forward to Brian Cox's new series very much, too. And congrats to Julie and Gwen, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Simon.

      Professor Cox is back on our screen tonight - 9pm BBC 2. Can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing my book, Ellie! And Congrats to Gwen. :)
    I haven't heard the Pale Blue Dot speech but now I want to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julie. It was my honour. Do listen to Sagan's speech. It's worth taking the time to do so.

      Delete
  4. Awww, I'm sorry you didn't get to go to Star Trek week, Ellie. Thanks so much for sharing my books! Congrats to Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. I'll get there one day!

      I was more than happy to share your news. It was an honour.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to Julie and Gwen. I love all the 'space' stuff going on this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. There is some exciting things happening this October.

      Delete
  6. Don't forget the Lunar eclipse tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise there was one, Donna. Thank you for letting me know. Unfortunately, it won't be visible in the UK.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Julie and Gwen! Both books are awesome. I wish I had some good Trek stories. Wil Wheaton responded to one of my tweets a while ago. Does that count? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely counts, Christine! William Shatner thanked me for a donation via FB awhile back. I was a happy Trekkie. Garrett Wang favourited one of my tweets. It's the little things...

      Delete
  8. I did not know about Space Week. That's really cool. Wonder if they mention it in schools? Congratulations to Julie and to Michael for designing such a wonderful cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think they were mention WSW in schools. I'll have to ask my niece.

      Delete
  9. A lot going on here, a very busy post. World Space Week? Isn't the world in space? I suggest they shoud call it Above a Certain Altitude Week.
    Alas, my contribution to space science was a long time ago, long forgotten and out of print..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie's book has a very intriguing premise. I had no idea there was a world space day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you make it for the 50th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!