Monday, 18 May 2015

Falling for My EBook Reader

If you'd asked me three months ago what I thought of my Kindle, I'd have replied with 'Meh'. Nothing beats the feel of an actual book in my hands, and probably never will. I really didn't like my Kindle, because pushing buttons instead of turning pages was an alien experience to me.

Kindle app on my iPhone

I purchased the first ever Kindle made by Amazon, which I hardly used before it expired on me. I bought the first Kindle Fire in 2013, because it came out around the time I published my two short story collections. I wanted to see mine and my friends book covers in their true colour format. Did I use the Kindle Fire to read? I tried, but soon found staring at a lit screen for more than 20 minutes hurt my eyes. So, in 2014 I bought the cheapest Kindle version. Paper-ink and no light. It cost me £49, and had no purpose other than as an eBook reader. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made.

When I hurt my back in March, I found myself in a lot of pain and unable to do anything other than watch television or read. I don't know about you, but there's only so much television I can watch in one day. Even then, I'm not a flick-the-channels kind of viewer. I need something I know I'll enjoy to hold my attention, like a favourite series.

Holding an actual book and keeping the pages open is not the best option when you're laid flat on your back. So, begrudgingly, I turned to my Kindle. It was lightweight enough for me to hold in my hands and read for hours, and had the obvious advantage of being able to instantly download books.

While I'd love to have actual paperback copies of all the books I've read, that's not always practical or affordable. Having my Kindle helped me to fill the long hours and distract me when the pain was at its worse. If I had to recommend an eBook reader to a friend, I would always suggest buying the paper-ink version. Apart from being far lighter than a Kindle or iPad, it doesn't hurt your eyes or, as in my case, removes the risk of inducing a migraine.

How about you? Have you fallen for an eBook reader? Do you use the paper-ink version? As always, I'd love to know your thoughts.

16 comments:

  1. I tend to use my phone with the Kindle app when in waiting rooms or other potentially boring situations. Sounds like kindl have got it right with the paper ink model. Too many distractions on the colour e-readers, I have a Kobo and it generally gets used for games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Kindle app on my iPhone, which is perfect for those odd few minutes you have to read. The fact that it syncs with the progress on my Kindle is a bonus.

      Delete
  2. Hey, there's my book!
    Sorry you hurt your back. Yeah, I'm a television junkie, but there's only so much I can watch. And I am a total eBook convert. Have been since my first iPad.
    You have read a lot of books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd be a total convert, Alex. I know how you love your iPads!

      Delete
  3. I'm one of those old fogeys who still sticks with real physical books. Maybe one day I'll succumb, but I think it will take some significant event to motivate me to try it. So far, nothing's happened to make me want to switch.

    Sorry about your back. Hope you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Botanist. My back is on the mend, albeit slowly. I think, like me, it will take an event where an eBook reader is the best thing to read with to convert you.

      Delete
  4. I hope they figure out what is wrong with you and can fix it soon, Ellie! *hugs*

    I'm a total e-reader convert. I had a 2nd generation Kindle, then purchased the Kindle Fire, and then the Kindle Fire HD. All three of my Kindles still work, although no one uses the 2nd gen one anymore. I gave my Kindle Fire to my dad. I love my Fire. I use it for emails, Facebook, games, and reading, although reading on it or a computer screen for a long time can dry out my eyes and makes them hurt and my vision blurry. I'm planning to purchase the Kindle Voyage as soon as I have the money or it goes on sale. I have a hard time reading physical books between my wrist pain and sight. Books are heavier and the font size is usually too small. I even will purchase the ebook version of a physical book I have so I can read more comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. My back is improving, finally!

      I now love my Kindle, especially because it's so light. The Kindle Fire is too heavy in my opinion, though great as an Internet back up.

      Delete
  5. I still collect books (paper and glue kind) but buying Kindle books is so efficient. Why I can spend twenty bucks without leaving my chair and read all weekend. Sometimes that is not a good thing though. I've had complaints. From da hubby.
    Meh. Mostly I ignore his feeble attempts to argue his pov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poor hubby, Huntress. Oh, who am I kidding? Read away!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you hurt your back, the kindle is handy because its nice and light although theres nothing quite like the tactile touch of turning those pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the turning of pages, Spacerguy. I also like the smell of old books.

      Delete
  7. You've join us on the dark side.... of reading... :) I'm so sorry to hear about your back. I hope it's getting better quickly, though I know backs are stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for seeing Dorianna on your screen and all of the other great ebooks!!! Yes, I LOVE my Kindle Fire, and I find that I read much more on my Kindle than I did with paper books. Easier to hold "big" books, easier to see in the dark, a pleasure to take breaks and scroll through "if you like this book...". Just so much fun. I hope your back is feeling much stronger. Sending you magical healing pixie dust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a lot on my Kindle, and I read a lot on paper too. I really don't see much difference if I'm honest. If the story's good enough I soon stop noticing the medium it's printed on. Hope you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a lot on my Kindle now. It took me some time to get used to it. But I have bad eyes and now that I can adjust the light and font, it's so much easier for me to read. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!