Monday, 10 August 2015

The Writer's Paradox

You might have noticed it's been a few weeks since I last blogged. I've been struggling with a pelvic injury, and just getting through work has been both a struggle and exhausting. Thankfully, I'm on the road to recovery.


I have to say a special note of thanks to Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh for taking the time to email me to check all was okay. Thank, you, Alex!

Now on with today's blog topic, The Writer's Paradox.

I recently had a profound realisation - time spent with friends who understand me and also make me laugh are vital to my creativity. Furthermore, too much time on my own kills my creativity. And there in lies the writer's paradox. I need time alone to write and read. I need to be okay with my own company for long stretches of time. I need time to daydream. But I also need to feel contented, secure, and happy. I need to have long conversations about the things that inspire me with someone other than myself. Most importantly, like everyone else, I need laughter to release the tensions and worries of every day life so that I feel relaxed enough to write.

We writers need to surround ourselves with people who enrich our lives and inspire us to achieve more. The ones that are genuinely interested in what we have to say. We need to avoid the emotional vampires; the people that leave us feeling utterly drained after each encounter. You know the ones I mean. We all know such people. Most importantly, we need time-out from both everyday life and writing to recharge our creative batteries, and nothing does that better than time spent with friends.

What say you?

22 comments:

  1. I hope the treatment works! We miss having you with us.
    Since we need to split the time between company and solitude, we need to make sure those people are the best for us. N emotional vampires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I've missed catching up with everyone's news.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the new treatment plan. I'm happy with my own company, but now that my son is in school, I'm realizing that these long days by myself may be too quiet. All my writer friends live elsewhere in the world. Maybe if I get a cat.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cat would be a great idea. If I wasn't on my own and working, I'd get a dog. Company and a reason to exercise. Perfect.

      Delete
  3. Good luck getting back to full strength. I don't know any writers in real life I can have a long conversation with, but being taken out of our head space with chat about other matters can be very refreshing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly can be, Nick. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

      Delete
  4. I get reinvigorated every time I attend a writers' meeting with my local group. Family obligations have interfered with my attendance for two months in a row and I miss it.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get back to it ASAP. I'd love to be part of a real-life writing group, though my online group is amazing.

      Delete
  5. Hope everything goes well with the new treatment plan!
    There's not a lot of people in my real life I can talk to about my writing (but I guess that's what blogging friends are for!) but it is nice to get a break and talk about other things. I definitely do need those moments of solitude to really focus and get the writing done, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Solitude is great, but it's important to balance it with time spent with others.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back here, hope the treatment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I concur! I'm guilty of spending too much alone. I need to go over to my brother's and play some Skyrim, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too easy to shut ourselves away, mshatch. Enjoy the Skyrim!

      Delete
  8. Hi Ellie - it's good to know you've found a way to get some healing .. may it all improve your health. Good luck with that.

    I enjoy being by myself .. but being with others too is essential ... my friends are scattered around the world - as too my blogging friends ... but I've joined various organisations here - so I get out and about and stimulate my brain other than just talking to myself!!

    Cheers and take care, good luck with those improvements and here's to an easier healthier life ... Alex is a whizz ... so caring ... all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. You sound like you have the perfect balance.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree with you that writers need meaningful social connections. That's why I'm glad I'm in UR, and I'm glad I belong to a writers' space. Plus I am in a wonderful, longstanding writing group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I envy you being in a writer's group. Perhaps I should start one where I live?

      Delete
  10. Ellie, I really hope your road to recovery is quick and complete!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really hope you get well soon. And, yes, it can be a tricky balance to achieve. Friends and family come first!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!