Monday, 31 August 2015

Where have you been, James Blunt?

If you're one of my personal Facebook friends, you'll know I often joke about my iPhone being sentient, because at times it seems to know me a little too well. It regularly replaces the word both with Borg in my text messages, encourages me to marry Tom Hiddleston, and Siri often uses science fiction movie quotes to answer my questions. Can't think why it would think I'd want to marry Tom Hiddleston, though. Cough. Cough.

In reality my iPhone probably just has clever algorithms that 'remember' all those google searches and commonly texted words or phrases. Or is it more than that logical explanation? 

Late Friday night my iPhone woke me playing a song I'd never heard, I Really Want You by James Blunt. What I wanted to do is toss my phone across the room, because I really didn't want to be woken up. Anyway, in my half-awake state I ended up listening to the song and it was actually quite good. Then I thought where the hell was it coming from? I've never owned or downloaded a James Blunt song or album. I went to my music app and there was the deluxe edition of one of his albums, All the Lost Souls, along with that damn U2 album Apple forced on us. If anyone can tell me how to remove U2's album, I'd be eternally grateful.

The next day I listened to Blunt's album and also watched the videos it contained. By the end I was wondering why I'd ignored him all these years? He's actually a talented musician and songwriter. I didn't know a lot of his songs reflect his time in the army and experiences in Kosovo. He isn't the manufactured pop act as I'd always thought. 

Clearly, my iPhone knew I'd like his music. It just had to force me into realising that fact by downloading one of his albums and waking me up by playing it. I mean what other conclusion can I come to?












My favourite track so far.


As I've clearly been missing out on some amazing artists, hit me with some recommendations. And if you are a James Blunt fan, do you have a favourite song or album?

26 comments:

  1. Not my type of music, but glad you enjoy him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might appreciate the guitar playing, Alex. But I can understand why he appeals more to the female audience.

      Delete
  2. How does one get unwanted music on their phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U2 did a deal with Apple. The album automatically downloaded onto all iPhones. As you can imagine, it didn't go down well. No idea how James Blunt's album got onto my phone.

      Delete
  3. I've never got into him, I just don't like his voice - but he certainly has musical talent! And he also looks a lot cuter now than he did in the early days ;) I think he's come a ways since those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has one of those voices people either love or hate. A bit like whether you like marmite or not. I ordered his albums (I'm still a CD player if I can help it). I'll let you know what I think after I've listened to them all.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ellie - poor chap got pilloried by being upper class and ex Sandhurst - and good looking ... but as you say he's talented. How these things work I've no idea - but strange things happen apparently ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Hilary. He does sound upper-class when he talks, but I wouldn't hold that against him. His songs should stand for themselves.

      Delete
  5. Not sure how you would go about removing U2 from your iPhone. Just interesting to have it forced on you like that -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's a way. I just need spend some time on Google!

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of his. Not that he doesn't have talent but his voice is just too high for me. Waking up is never fun to do.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all his songs are that high pitched. The quality of the songs makes up for not having the best singing voice, though I quite like his voice.

      Delete
  7. Not bad, Blunt has real prospects but for a second I thought the backup "I really want you" was a voice from the audience. It turned out to be the pianist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really weird that your iPhone sent you his music. Lately Facebook has been showing me ads for Sun Chips Salsa, but the ads didn't start until I bought a bag of them from the snack machine. I didn't write about eating them or anything. Big Brother is watching us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really we all live in a computer simulation and are an experiment in self determination. Your phone is actually a clever subroutine which provides the programe routines, that is your personality in the simulation, with subtle experimental stimulus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it! Though I've long suspected Stephen Hawking might be on to something when he says we're just part of a hologram.

      Delete
  10. Your iPhone is sentient? Better lock it up in the drawer at night before it turns bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too late. The iPhone has mind-melded with me, and insists it is never more than a few inches away at all times.

      Delete
  11. I don't follow the music scene all that close, just tracks I can listen to while writing. Maybe these smart phones have brains after all, and was looking for a way to bond with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it was, David. I'd better not mention I'm upgrading it soon!

      Delete
  12. I am not a J Blunt fan per se, but he's good. I just saw Van Halen play live. And I'll be seeing Billy Cobham (jazz-rock fusion drummer) soon. I've been a fan of his for a looonnnggg time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love every minute, Catherine. I know I was the same when I finally got to see David Bowie in concert.

      Delete
  13. I think all our activities are monitored. Scary thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right. It makes me wonder how people are able to 'disappear'.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!