Thursday, 8 October 2015

The Martian, NASA, Blood Moon, & #SciFiChat

Unless you're actually living on Mars, and cut-off from Earth like our hero from The Martian, you must have heard about Ridley Scott's film based on Andy Weir's masterpiece. I'll be seeing it this weekend. If the film lives up to the book, I will probably see it again. I loved the book that much. If you enjoy science fiction, it's a must-read. 


While we're on the subject of the red planet, did you know you could have sent your name to Mars via NASA's InSight Mission? 


I left it too late to sign up, but there will be more opportunities, starting with the Exploration Mission 1. Follow this link to sign up for email notification of future missions.

I had meant to post about the recent Blood Moon over a week ago, but time slipped away almost as fast as the Lunar Eclipse itself. At least it felt that way. As this week's post is space-related, I bumped it to today. 

Like a lot of my British friends, I set my alarm for 2am on September 28th. I watched bleary-eyed from the comfort of my bed. All I had to do was open my curtains! I didn't get as good a view as some of my friends, because I live in town and there is considerable light pollution. However, thanks to favourable weather conditions, I did watch it turn red. I was glad I'd made the effort - I'll be 76 years old when the next one occurs, assuming I'm still alive.

I do have some photographs of the event, as seen from Exmouth, courtesy of one of my work colleagues. Thanks for allowing me to share them, Simon.

All photographs © Simon Stone 2015

If you're a science fiction fan and on Twitter, there's a fantastic weekly science fiction chat every Friday, between 3-5pET. The chat is hosted by @scifichat (David A. Rozansky) and always produces lively and inspiring conversations. Last week's topic was Mars. To take part, use the #SciFiChat hashtag.

Finally, I have a huge favour to ask. Fellow Untethered Realms member M. Pax needs help to promote both her upcoming book release and this year's Realms Faire. If you're unable to do much, just signing up for her Thunderclap would be an enormous help. Please drop by her blog and see how you might be able to help.

Have you read The Martian and/or are seeing the film? Does sending your name to Mars on a NASA mission excite you? Did you see the Lunar Eclipse and Blood Moon?

23 comments:

  1. I saw The Martian last weekend - great film! You'll enjoy it.
    Also saw the Blood Moon since it was evening for us.
    All signed up for the Realms Faire and looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you enjoyed the film, Alex. I'm sure if you did, so will I. Thanks for signing up for Realms Faire!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellie - the moon was amazing - I too woke at 2.00 am .. but the moon took itself above the flats ... and I didn't feel like getting up and out ... so I'm afraid I saw the beginning and then watched the amazing photos the next morning. So glad you saw it though .. and Simon's photos are great aren't they.

    Enjoy the Martian - it's not my sort of film .. but others are loving it .. and you loved the book ... so I'm sure it'll live up to expectations. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame you couldn't see all of it, Hilary. But you were there in spirit. I agree about Simon's photographs. He lives on the edge of Exmouth, which helped. Plus, he has the x22 zoom lense his wife got him.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I did not know I could have sent my name to Mars. The real question begs: Will there be someone there to receive it? #heee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A valid question, SA. Well, we know Mark Watney is there. I only say that because there are people who actually think The Martian was based on a true story. Face. Palm

      Delete
  4. I want to read The Martian and see it, but I might have to wait until the movie is on DVD or something to see it. I wanted to see the lunar eclipse, but it rained and was too cloudy to see anything. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah humbug to the bad weather. Given the amount of rain in the UK this year, I was surprised I had such a clear view.

      You must read the book. If you're like me, you need to read it before seeing the film. I can't read a book if I already know the plot.

      Delete
  5. What fantastic images! We had fog, so the most I saw was a red smear in the sky. Very disappointing. Thanks for these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did watch the eclipse. I was lucky — it happened between 9:00 and 10:00 PM here and we had good weather. It was the first time my kids had seen an eclipse, which was really neat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had the perfect time and weather to see it. So pleased you were able to share the moment with your children.

      Delete
  7. I will certainly watch the movie, that is a must. I got up and took a few pictures, but there is another total lunar eclipse visible from our part of Europe in 2025 and if you really want to see another before then, there are several visible from other parts of the world and the next one is in 2018 Jan 31, but you will have to travel to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was one in 2025. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to travel. Alas, no funds. Must write that best-seller.

      Delete
  8. I didn't see the lunar eclipse, but I did see a very bright full moon on an early morning after that.

    It reminded me of a short story about a man who saw an impossibly bright moon, and he realized that meant the sun had gone nova, wiping out the other side of the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inconstant Moon by larry Niven, also an episode on The Outer Limits. one of my top ten short stories.

      Delete
    2. I missed the Moon the following night, but I had heard it was larger than the eclipse night.

      I'm working my way through season one of The Twilight Zone at the moment. I need to add The Outer limits to my to-be-watched list!

      Delete
  9. I'm not going to send my name up to Mars. That'll make it all the easier for any aliens I may have offended in Interstellar Dad to find me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good job I wasn't drinking when I read your comment; I'd have spat it out. The funniest thing I've read in a long time!

      Delete
  10. I'm not a sci-fi fan, but I fully support any film adaptation of a book. It's SO good for book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was too cloudy here to see the moon. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 76 for the next one too! I've heard such great things about The Martian. Hopefully I'll get to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the book. Saw the eclipse, too, which was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read the book yet or seen the movie, but thanks to your review and a quick discussion I had with a few friends, I'm adding them to be tbr and tbw lists. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!