Tuesday, 13 October 2015

The Martian: Read the Book. Watch the Film.

On Monday I finally got to watch my second-most anticipated film of the year, The Martian (Star Wars in December tops my list). It was a superb film. I could have watched it again, straight afterwards. It was that good. Unfortunately, another two and a half hours of the big screen would have been a ticket to migraine-city.



I was always going to be biased when it came to The Martian. The book upon which it is based by Andy Weir was my top read of 2014, and made it into my top ten science fiction reads ever list. If you're a science fiction fan, you need to read it.

The film wasn't absolutely faithful to the book, and that was okay. When I read it, I knew they would have to make some changes for it to work as a movie. It still did a superb job of capturing the books tone, humour, emotional impact, and of course the science. The Martian worked on all levels - casting, script, special effects, soundtrack.  In fact, the only part I disliked was how they did the end credits. A minor point after two hours and 24 minutes of one of the best space-related films I've ever seen.

Go see it!

While I have your attention, I'm over at Untethered Realms today talking about films and TV programmes that literally made me scream out loud. If you have the time, please pop by and share yours.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie - I gather it's a brilliant film - I doubt I'll see it .. just not my sort - but I did note the praise .. and I remember you writing about the book last year. So pleased it satisfied ... more than! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a friend to see Everest, which was way outside her comfort zone. She really enjoyed it. It's worth taking a chance now and again. You might surprise yourself.

      Delete
  2. Saw it opening night and yes, excellent film that worked on every level. Everything was plausible and Damon did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried when they cast Matt Damon, but he really did the role justice. He's back in my good books.

      Delete
  3. We listened to the audio book on a looong car trip, and it was excellent. The movie was true to the book, screenplay was great, and the filming as well. I was ready to see a 2nd time, right away. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you enjoyed it just as much as I did! I'm planning to see it again at the weekend.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen it or read it . . . and now, after your post and a discussion about the book with a couple of friends yesterday, I feel like I'm seriously missing out. I'll try to get a copy soon . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are, Tyrean. No doubt on my behalf. Get it!

      Delete
  5. Loved the book. I thought they did a great film adaptation. And the LotR reference while Sean Bean was in the room was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people got that reference. I was laughing at it and the other audience members who didn't get it.

      Delete
  6. That's so great to hear. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to see it! Can you come over and babysit for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday? I need to run a level one diagnostic on the starboard nacelles.

      Delete
  8. I didn't really read your post as I'm going to see the movie this coming Monday and don't want any spoilers. I'm looking forward to it. I read the book in February... as my Kindle fell out in the car, my Nook was in my checked in luggage, and I had a day of traveling to get through. I was happy to see The Martian in the airport bookstore. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been so distracted by the reason on my travel then, but I still enjoyed it enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand not being able to fully enjoy the book. I've been in a similar situation myself, and I now associate the book I was reading at the time with difficult memories. I hope you enjoyed the film, though.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to hear your recommendation. I loved the book but haven't seen the movie yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for that; I really have to go and see it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We went on a long trip, and listened to the audio book. My husband had read it, but enjoyed the re-read on tape.
    Movie was one of the best of the year...no, change that...the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to try audio books. Pleased you rate the film as high as I have.

      Delete
  12. I'd have to read the book first. It's always exciting to see a book you loved turned into a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, but also nerve-racking. I'm always scared they'll do a terrible job or change key plot moments.

      Delete
  13. I really want to watch this movie, but like you, Star Wars is topping my to-watch list. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star Wars is definitely THE film of the year. No contest!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!