Monday, 25 July 2016

Star Trek Beyond & U.S.S. Discovery

If you're a Trekkie like me, you'll have more than one reason to be excited this week - Star Trek Beyond finally beamed into cinemas and we had our first peek at the new Trek series coming in January 2017.


I won't be watching Beyond until Wednesday, but from what I've read so far it's returned to the episodic format of the original series. I'm sure this was a relief for both myself and countless Trekkies. I enjoyed Into Darkness, but I also thought re-hashing The Wrath of Khan plot line for a modern generation was lazy. There was no emotional punch when Kirk died, because the relationship between Chris Pine's Kirk and Zachary Quinto's Spock had not had sufficient on-screen time to make me care. Perhaps I'll view it differently after this and subsequent films? Either way, I'm just excited to get more Trek.

We now know the name of the latest series in the Trek franchise - Star Trek Discovery. We've even been treated to a sneak peek of the U.S.S. Discovery and it's a mean-looking ship. Let me know what you think.


All that's left to say is live long and prosper, my friends!

6 comments:

  1. Saw it Friday and thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't like it as much as Into Darkness, but it had great action and some really funny lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the first two Star Trek movies, and I'd love to see Star Trek Beyond sometime soon. The new show looks exciting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw Beyond yesterday in IMAX. I loved it. It was totally knew. The ending credits were cool, cause it felt like flying through space. The tributes to Nimoy and Anton made me tear up. Nimoy died very close to when my brother passed, so it stirred up extra emotions for me.

    Like the previous two films, it's an action packed adreniline rush. Most awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about Star Trek: Into Darkness. I've seen Star Trek Beyond, but I won't spoil it for you. I'll just say I saw in on a gigantic screen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!