Thursday, 11 August 2016

Animated Book Covers

I've started reading the final book in Stephen King's Mercedes Killer trilogy. I love the characters in these books, especially Holly Gibney. I shall be bereaved when I finish the final page.

While searching for a book cover image to add to the 'I'm reading' tab on the left hand side of this blog, I came across an animated cover for End of Watch. My first thought was, wow. The moving fish are perfect for King's latest offering (I won't say more than that for fear of giving away the plot) and the animation grabs your attention. Then, how long have animated covers been around? I'm assuming not long, because this is the first I've seen.


My third thought was, I wonder if anyone on Fiverr does these covers? I couldn't find anyone, but I'm sure it won't be long. Of course, I'm wondering how hard it would be to do it myself. I like a challenge, but I fear this is beyond my limited capabilities.

What do you think about animated book covers? Have you seen any more? Do you know anyone who creates them?

While I'm on the subject of reading, if you look to the left you'll notice my pitiful Goodreads challenges stands at just nine books. I had set myself a target of 75 books this year. Unless I break both legs and spend weeks in traction, there's more chance of me visiting the International Space Station than reaching my target. It's been that kind of year so far. The funny thing is I'd planned to do a monthly post on the books I'd read each month of 2016. Sometimes you have to know when to change plans. Perhaps I should start at the end of this month? Give myself an incentive to make more time to read.

14 comments:

  1. If' seen a couple other covers that were animated. It's a cool idea.
    Sorry you're behind on your reading. So am I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll on retirement and plenty of time to read. Then again, we shouldn't wish our lives away. We must make more time to read now!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellie - I hope you keep us updated on those moving book covers - I wonder if they take up a lot of 'computer code' on our machines ... similar to flash and become irritating. That's cool though ...

    I too need to add reading into my day to day activity - apart from the 'so-called research' I do for my posts ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the code, but with the computers we have today, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

      Delete
  3. I didn't notice the animation at first. I think a very subtle animation could work well, but there will be the temptation to overdo it. As for reading, try audiobooks. I get mine for free from the library and I can "read" several a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - subtlety is key.

      I've tried audio books, but my mind wanders. I just can't concentrate. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I've never seen an animated book cover before. This is so cool! And so creepy knowing the story.
    I finished this week and was so sad!! Like you I adore the trio of main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never felt this sad about finishing a book. I want more Mr Mercedes books!

      Delete
  5. no, I've not seen one either - but I only shop for ebooks on my kobo, which is a dedicated ereader so wouldn't have that functionality. Love it. If you are looking for recommendations, I have two (non sci-fi) for you. DV Berkom writes excellent US based thrillers, with believable female leads, both of whom would be fun drinking pals, and Jane Davis writes UK accessible, beautiful, thought provoking and Bailey's worthy literary fiction. I love all their stuff, and practically inhale them. I am going to look for this Stephen king trilogy now - thanks Ellie. (and when is your next one out?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by the US based thrillers, especially with strong female leads. Adding them to my TBR list. Thank you!

      As for me, the answer is when I have the money to pay for an editor. Sob.

      Delete
  6. Seems like a nice idea, presumably you could add animated illustrations to an e-book without too much trouble, provided the e reader could cope. Maybe the next update for kindle. The technology exits to do this on a hardcover book using printed PLEDs, but a bit expensive at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming a Kindle Fire would handle an animated cover, but I haven't tested that theory yet.

      Delete
  7. That's so cool. The idea is neat, and I think this one has got to be my favorite that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!