Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Wherever I Lay My Laptop That's My Home

Back in May I blogged about my house move and new writing area that overlooked the garden and apple trees. It was an inspiring view. However, the light was making my laptop screen too reflective. Even with the curtains closed and the screen turned up to full brightness, it became a mirror. I could manage during the dark winter months, but the rest of the year it would be just about unusable.

Thankfully, there was a solution - moving into a different room. This was something my other half and I were going to do regardless, we just didn't know if we could fit my writing area into the room as well. After several weeks of redecorating, multiple pencil drawings of possible layouts, we finally got there. Here's my new writing area:


The desk is bigger than it looks, with plenty of room for my writing books on the left and a large draw for all my pens and post-it notes (Like many writers, I'm a post-it note hoarder).

 

The files for my current writing projects are to the right of the desk. We'll be putting in shelving behind the curtain on the left, which will hold all my files and folders. I will still need to close the curtains when I use my laptop, but it's no where near as bright as the other room. It's also much cooler, as there is a patio door I can slide open.


As you can probably tell, I'm still Spock-crazy!

30 comments:

  1. Awesome writing space! I sometimes have to shut the curtains in my office to stop the glare. You're very organized. Me, I'm picking up poptart crumbs from my son's breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm usually vacuuming cat hair and bread crumbs from toast!

      Delete
  2. I like all the little Trekkie statuettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laptop glare can be a pain. It looks like you've found a perfect solution for it. I love the Spock figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie, I like your writing area, especially the book shelf nearby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachna. I'm really happy with my new space.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Considering it's also a bedroom, it's surprisingly airy.

      Delete
  6. I'm a SPOCK fan, too. I have a map of Paris and a painting of my muse to inspire me near my desk. Your setup looks nice, and your desk is similar to mine. I'd love one of those antique desks, but it wouldn't fit anyway. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another Spock fan! I'd love an antique desk as well - the space to spread out would be glorious. Alas, like you, it wouldn't fit.

      Delete
  7. This is the perfect writers den. Everything within reach from the desk and a chair which looks set to take you to new worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Every writer needs a window--I'm completely convinced of that. Way to work it out until you found a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Ellie - to have got that sorted - it looks very neat ... and as Crystal says 'way to work' ... cheers and enjoy the new work-area - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks perfect, Ellie! I have an at-home office and don't use it. I sit at a desk all week long so I don't want to do it when I get home at night or on the weekend. So at home, I prop up a cushion on my bed and use a lap desk. Works for me, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if my job involved sitting at a desk all week. It's great you've found an alternative that works for you.

      Delete
  11. I love your Spocks.

    My office would scare people. There's enough to fill two rooms in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure your office isn't that scary . . .

      Delete
  12. At the risk of coming over all boring, in one lifetime I had to teach 'working with screens' H&S regulations and according to them you have got most of it right by knowing what you need. Light is one of the things most often overlooked as most people are more concerned with seating and posture. Many a stiff back and sore neck have been inflicted on the masses since the introduction of laptops because they are used in the most awkward places with no regard for what it is doing to you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not boring at all, Snafu. You are right, light and posture are often overlooked.

      Delete
  13. What a cool area to work in. I love writing outside on my front porch but I always have to wait until evening because of the brightness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to combine writing with fresh air. My OH is building me a she-shed (that we can both use) next year. Sun and shade. Perfect.

      Delete
  14. Love the space!

    (And hi... been a while... I've missed your blog. Glad to be back in blogosphere) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pleased to have you back as well!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!