Thursday, 8 September 2016

It's A TV Show Jim, But As We've Known It

If you're a Trekkie like me, you'll know September 8th 2016 is a significant date for its fans. Fifty years ago today the first episode of Star Trek was aired on NBC, and one of the most iconic and fan-loved series began its journey.



My love affair with Star Trek started during re-runs of the original series in the late 1970s. I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime to see it, and though I watched many more science fiction shows during that time, nothing compared. If I had to put into words what it was I found so fascinating, you'd have to read straight on until morning. So, I'll try to shunt the deuterium from the main cryo-pump to the auxiliary tank and keep it brief.

As I've said many times before, Star Trek was different. And I liked different. I always have and always will do. To me, having a crush on a pointy-eared alien seemed natural. Wishing there were more scary aliens in the next episode was something everyone should want. Dreaming I'd be a science officer on the Enterprise seemed way more appealing than becoming a hairdresser or air stewardess. Why would anyone want to stay on Earth when there was a whole universe out there to explore?

Star Trek was certainly the trigger for my life-long fascination with all forms of science fiction, be it TV, films, or books. It's the reason I started writing. My earliest attempts at writing were poorly written fan fiction. Of course, not all the souls I've encountered have understood my fascination. Like Khan Noonien Singh, they task me! I win them over, eventually. Resistance is futile as my other half now quotes on a regular basis.

Today I shall be celebrating all things Trek. I'll watch some favourite episodes from all the series, perhaps a film, and end up wishing I were young again and about to discover a TV show with strange new worlds. Then I'll smile, because there's a new series coming in 2017.

Live long and prosper, my friends.

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Star Trek fan to the end. Found it in the mid-70's and have watched everything Trek related since. Even went to a Trek con. (That was interesting!) I've always said that the cast could just sit around a table and I'd be right there watching.
    Have you seen any of the show Better Late Than Never with William Shatner? It also has Henry Winkler, George Foreman, and Terry Bradshaw. Reality show with the guys traveling the Orient. Dumb but it's really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched any Better Late Than Never, but now I'll have to see it after reading your recommendation. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I was a bit miffed when it first turned up on British TV, I was collaborating on a comic strip to be called Star-Law and it kind of eclipsed our work and so we shelved it. My collaborative partner was being published already, so he carried on with his normal stuff, but I gave up and stuck to the day job. Mind you I still liked the show despite my being upstaged by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame, snafu. I would have loved to have seen what you'd created.

      Delete
  3. I watched the 70's reruns as well. I had a crush on Captain Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy Star Trek, although I didn't start watching the original in reruns until the early 2000s, and I know I caught a few episodes here and there of TNG in the 1990s. Of all the characters, Spock is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spock is my favourite character as well.

      Delete
  5. I liked Star Trek growing up, but mostly the Next Generation. I really like ALL the movies (except the first), and I'll admit the hubby and I spent the first 3 years of our marriage watching reruns together. Yay for Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another fan! I'm not a fan of the first movie - too long and drawn out.

      Delete
  6. I remember watching the original Star Trek as a kid when my mom had it on. I was fascinated by how different it was from everything else on TV. That and Doctor Who!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Star Trek was the first serious science fiction television series. Sure, there were inconsistencies, but that was because they had different writers for different episodes. They explored a lot of science fictional ideas, whereas a lot of science fiction today is just war in space.

    Think of episodes where they encountered aliens vastly superior to themselves. They had to think their way through those situations. It was certainly mind-expanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mark. While the series suffered from a diminishing budget as it went on and had to adhere to some social conventions of the time, it wasn't afraid to explore unasked questions and push certain boundaries.

      Delete
    2. I agree, Mark. While the series suffered from a diminishing budget as it went on and had to adhere to some social conventions of the time, it wasn't afraid to explore unasked questions and push certain boundaries.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!