Wednesday, 2 November 2016

IWSG: Being A Writer & #NaNoWriMo


November is my favourite month of the year. The nights are drawing closer, a riot of leaves are falling, and National Novel Writing Month kicks in (more about that last point later). There's something special about rising early to write, frantically upping my word count, while darkness still shrouds the world outside my door. Talking of November and writing, it's time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post.

The brainchild of the always supportive Alex J. Cavanaugh, the group's purpose is to share and encourage. A place where writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds.

Now for November's IWSG question: 

What is your favourite aspect of being a writer?

Aspect, as in singular? You mean I can only give one answer? No. No. No. Sorry, guys. I'm going to have to cheat and give two aspects. Firstly, it's when I'm in 'The Writing Zone'. When the words are literally pouring out of me, characters and story sparking into life. When the real world is forgotten and replaced by something that seems utterly real, despite it existing only in my head. It's like a drug, only with positive side effects. Secondly, being part of the most generous, warm, and supportive community I've ever known. There's something truly special about the writing community, and its ability to nurture and guide writers of all levels and all achievements. I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience with, or been given a reason to distrust, the writers I've met during my journey to where I am now. I see no evidence to believe my opinion will be changed.

What about you? What is your favourite aspect or, if you're a rebel like me, two?

On to NaNoWriMo. I'm sad to say I won't be taking part this year. I know in my heart I don't have the time needed to write 50k in the next 30 days. Forty plus extra hours at the day job and only one week off instead of my usual two severely limit my options. Even then, I'm away during that one week. So, rather than exhaust myself, I'm passing on it this year. However, I'll be cheering on my writing friends who are taking part, offering virtual hugs, snacks, and a kick up the butt if you need it.

30 comments:

  1. Sorry you won't be able to do NaNo.
    The support and friendship is one of the best things to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those things about being a writer too! :) I won't be participating in NaNo either. My mom's visiting next week, and then there's the American Thanksgiving. A release too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the supportive community a few times--that's really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the one thing I hear over and over again.

      Delete
  4. I love those reasons, too! It was so hard just to pick one to talk about.
    I didn't even consider doing NaNo this year since I don't really have any ideas that were ready to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. I could have mentioned many more.

      Delete
  5. I'll be editing my ass off, so no nano. I love getting lost in my stories. I would love to sit and watch you get lost. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. There's nothing more inspiring then being in the company of fellow writers.

      Delete
  6. I love that feeling of the words pouring out too. And I couldn't give one answer either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

      Delete
  7. You can hang out with me on the NaNo sidelines. We'll wave our pom poms and everything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That writing high is pretty cool when you're in the zone :-) And I have to agree, the writing community is very supportive and it's nice to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the writing community! So many wonderful people. And The Writing Zone really is an amazing place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a wonderful community, and I count myself as fortunate to be a part of it.

      Delete
  10. Sorry that you can't take part in NaNo this year! That was me last year, unfortunately there are just some years we have to sit out.

    And you're right! The writing community is one of the most supportive and warm groups out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Caitlin. I hope to do NaNoWriMo in 2017. I'll find a way!

      Delete
  11. Hi Ellie - yes writing is just wonderful for releasing endorphins and getting our brains going. Enjoy your break - but more importantly keep on writing ... within a group that's so supportive ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES. IT IS GOOD TO BE IN THE WORLDS WE CREATE. THE REAL ONE IS A BIT STRESSFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could escape to the writing zone more often!

      Delete
  13. My favorite aspect is the vibe in our online writing community...and the friendships that have emerged!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree and appreciate your answers - love it when the words flow and i've made so many friends since i started writing - it's been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are two great aspects of writing! And I feel you about NaNo. Too much going on. Maybe next year will work out better for both of us to do NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Hopefully, come November, we'll be racing towards the 50k finish line!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!