Monday, 6 February 2017

January in Books

Over the last few years, I've been taking part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. Like many goals, I've achieved my target some years and others not. Last year was a 'not' year. Having set myself the lofty target of 66 books (I read 66 in 2015), I ended 2016 having read just 16. This year I'm determined to do a lot more reading, and set my target at 52.

Here's what I read in January:



The Long Utopia is the fourth book I've read in Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett's The Long Earth series and my favourite so far. I really didn't like book one of the series, so there was a three-year hiatus between that and book two. I have to admit the only reason I bought book two was for the cover art. Thank goodness I did, because I've fallen in love with the series. And they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Jenny Moyer's Flashfall was my first Fairy Loot, book box subscription read. Her YA science fiction debut is a fast read, with non-stop action. Perhaps too much action. Having said that, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the follow up, Flashtide. Moyer certainly knows how to create compelling characters and a enthralling three-dimensional world.

I ended January with 4% of my target completed, two shy of where I need to be to reach my yearly target.

What books did you read in January? Are you taking part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge?

10 comments:

  1. Is there one where it's one book a month?
    Pick a couple short books next and you'll catch back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about the Goodreads Challenge is you can set your own target. So, if you're a slow reader and tend to read long books, you can set your target lower.

      Delete
  2. They both look like good books. I read Christine Rains' Deep Current last month as well as Milo James Fowler's Unreal Encounters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both superb reads, I'm sure. I've just read Milo's Deep Space collection.

      Delete
  3. I probably read six books in January and one already this month. I usually read a book a week and sometimes two if I'm not writing as much.
    I should set a goal to read less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry Pratchett is a favorite here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure how many books I have read last year, my step daughter keeps a list, but I have never gotten round to that degree of organisation. I like Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter, so the Long Earth series combined two of my favorite authors. I have not read the last one yet, The Long Cosmos, and am currently finishing Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children trilogy. I did read The Martian Twice, plus a lot of text books, but they don't count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pratchett is fabulous! I'm doing the Goodreads challenge, and I've read a few good ones last month. I just finished my first bad one of the year too. It was short, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year I pledged and read 50 books.
    I've reduced my Goodreads challenge this year, to 25 books. I need to dedicate more time to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a goal as to quantity of books. I read Danger Close: My Epic Journey as a Combat Helicopter Pilot in Iraq and Afghanistan by Amber Smith. A true story. It's worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!