Monday, 17 April 2017

March in Books

This post is a little later than planned, so you haven't read the title wrong. It really is April 17th, or day 17 of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. If you're taking part in A to Z this year, how's it going?

Here's what I read in March:






I found This Book Is Full Of Spiders while in my local Waterstones. It's the sequel to John Dies at the End, but can easily be read as a standalone. What drew me to the book, apart from the spiders, was the funny blurb and introduction - I needed a good laugh. The book delivered. I'm guessing this is the type of book you'll either love or hate because of the spiders. I've no fear of them, so this was a fun read for me.

Empress of a Thousand Skies was another Fairy Loot read. My favourite genre, and a quick read. Don't be fooled by the quick read comment; the universe and cast of characters Belleza created was vast and impressive. The author's tight prose and clean style made it a joy to read. I'm guessing book two won't arrive until 2018, which will be a long wait.

I read two books by Frank Tayell during March - London: Surviving the Evacuation Book One and Zombies Vs The Living Dead (An Evacuation Story). I discovered Tayell in 2015, when I read Work. Rest. Repeat. I was so impressed, I added him to my TBR list. After my severe lack of reading in 2016, I promised myself I'd read his zombie series in 2017. After reading book one (I've since read book two), I could quite happily read all nine books back to back. It's been a long time since I've read a story told through a diary format. It's also been a long time since a story's twists and turns genuinely surprised me with their originality, especially so in book two. I do, however, have a lot of books waiting to be read. The readers dilemma. One a month?

Finally, book seven of M. Pax's The Backworlds series arrived. Like the first six books in her superb space opera series, Freefall delivered in every way. When you're seven books into a series, there's a certain amount of fondness for the characters and the worlds they inhabit. You've also invested a lot of time and energy, so each book is opened up with some trepidation (or turning on the ebook reader in this case). As always, Pax did not disappoint. You know the way favourite television series surpass their fictional roots and the characters become real people to those watching? The Backworlds does that for me. Now begins the wait for book eight.

I ended March with 23% of my yearly target completed.

What books did you read in March?

3 comments:

  1. Mary's series is great. I still need to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You have been busy. I think it's fantastic you are reading so many books. I sorta jumped into the A-Z challenge halfway through because I decided on a whim to start a blog.

    So much fun.

    I love how the challenge is forcing me to write every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked 7. #8 has a title: Endpoint. I'll be getting to work on it soon... after my mind quits aching from the new job. Not sure I could read a book full of spiders. :) Thanks for featuring me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!