Wednesday, 14 June 2017

April & May in Books

This post covers everything I read during April and May. I ended May disappointed, having fallen behind in my Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge. I'm now a month behind for the year. I have high hopes for June.

Here's what I read in April and May:







Books two and three of Frank Tayell's Surviving The Evacuation Series, Wasteland and Family, did not disappoint. I have a new favourite author, with Wasteland leading the race for my 2017 Read of the Year. If you're a fan of the post-apocalyptic and zombie genres, but want something a little different, give this series a go. You'll thank me for the recommendation. Check out my review of book one here.

The Hatching by Ezekiel was a strange read. I'm still not sure whether I really liked it or not. The premise - hideous spiders hatching and plaguing the world - was enough to hook me. Show me a disaster story and I'm in. The book itself read like a movie - if there isn't a movie in pre-production, I'd be surprised. What I didn't enjoy was the way every character was obsessed with sex or the lack of it. There weren't any gratuitous sex scenes, rather mini biographies of whom a character had slept with or wanted to sleep with interwoven into the plot. It just seemed unnecessary. Maybe it's just me?

The End of the World Running Club was a great read. It caught by surprise, because I'd wrongly assumed it was set in America. Not so. Starting in the north of England, the story headed roughly southwest. It wasn't at all what I'd expected, and I was a little disappointed the actual running part took so long to start. I was also baffled by the geography of the run towards the end. I won't say why I was baffled, because that would be a plot massive spoiler. Having said all of that, the ending was five-star for me. I did not see it coming. 

The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers was a fun read. I didn't realise until after I'd finished it that this was a crowd-funded novel. I'm sure everyone who backed Chambers felt theirs was a wise investment when they finally held her book in their hands. If you loved Firefly and enjoy space opera, then this is a must-read. 

Despite being a Stephen King fan, I'd never felt the urge to read his The Dark Tower series. Why? It's a predominately fantasy-based series. Give me horror or science fiction any day. However, I finally decided to give it a go and really wished I hadn't. I'm sure to the right group of readers, the Towers series is the best thing King has ever written. In its genre, I'm confident it's outstanding. For me, it confirmed everything I dislike about the fantasy genre. After finishing book one, I know it would be pointless carry on. Sorry, Mr. King.

I ended May with 35% of my yearly target completed. What books did you read in April and May?

5 comments:

  1. Eek! I don't think I could read a book about spiders.
    I'm so behind on my reading goal. I'm trying to read some shorter Kindle books to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie- well done on reading so many ... I go nowhere in that direction ... I keep saying I must read ... and I do - but not for some reason books: when I really need a lot of time ... glad you had a happy read - and June is ahead for lots more .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of apocalyptic reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spiders. *shudders* The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers has caught my eye. It sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both scifi and fantasy and pretty much everything King has written but I don't think I even finished the first book of the gunslinger series. You've read a lot more than I have lately!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!