Wednesday, 7 June 2017

IWSG: Did You Ever Say "I Quit?"


Founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG's purpose is to share and encourage. A place where writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. 

The awesome co-hosts for June's post are JH Moncrieff, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Jen Chandler, Megan Morgan and Heather Gardner. Please drop by and thank them.

Now for this month's IWSG question:

Did you ever say "I quit?" If so, what happened to make you come back to writing?

I've come close on more than one occasion. There have been times, like now, where daily life leaves no time for writing. I seem to stumble from work to home to work again, promising myself I'll get back to my writing later. The problem is later never arrives. When I feel that overwhelmed by daily life, I ask myself whether writing will add another layer of stress I don't need? Wouldn't it be better to just shelve it?

I think you'll already know the answer to those questions - a resounding no. I couldn't quit writing any more than I could quit breathing. Even if I'm not putting words to paper, I'm constantly thinking up new stories and working out plot holes. Characters tap their feet, while muttering "Hello, it's me." They're living, breathing entities, who need their story to be told. 

It might take me a long time to start publishing again, but I'll never quit. What about you? Have you quit or come close to it? What pulled you back?

14 comments:

  1. I think we're all the prisoners of our muses! :) I get frustrated and wanted to quit a few times, but I can't help myself either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're are prisoners, though I suspect we rather enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Life might get in the way but it can never stay in the way forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dumb ol' life always getting in the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I can so relate to those characters foot-tapping for my attention. It's so lovely knowing I'm not alone! Even when I take a break from writing, I'm not ever able to take a break from creating stories. They are always there, following me, throwing stones, tempting me with macarons and coffee. Nasty little things, yes, but they know the truth: I'll never stop writing. Even when I say I'm "on a break" they know I'm really just recharging :)

    Cheer!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! That should totally be "Cheers!" Sorry about that :D

      Delete
    2. Oops!

      Macaroons and coffee. That made me chuckle.

      Delete
  5. It is so easy to say "I quit" and so hard to slog forward.

    But "Damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe. First star to the right and on till morning!

      Delete
  6. I feel the same way. Even if I don't have time for actual writing, I'm still thinking about my stories all the time. I could never give it up completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the writer's curse. A great curse, though.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ellie - you've got lots of other things going on - enjoy, draft up and make notes - then when you do have more time you can write ... cheers and enjoy the summer - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!