Monday, 24 July 2017

Stargazing Across the Universe

In August we'll be spending a week on the Isle of Skye, Northern Scotland. The crofters cottage we've chosen is literally in the most northern part of the island, with the road ending right outside. There were a number of reasons for our choice, but the most important for me was a lack of light pollution. We live in a town, and I'd have to go some way before being able to get a decent view of the planets and Milky Way. The chance to do some real stargazing couldn't be turned down.

At the weekend, Mr PS went to an auction and came back with this telescope. I don't know too much about it, other than it's a 1967 Japanese Greenkat. It has a 40mm zoom lens, which I believe is tiny compared to modern telescopes. It only cost him £15, so hardly a great loss if it's not powerful enough. I'll be testing it out tonight, weather permitting.


For the astronomers out there, what would be the best budget telescope or minimum specifications for me to take to Skye?

Talking of stargazing, did you the latest Star Trek Discovery trailer? Apart from having the usual fangirl moment when I watched it for the first time, I was overjoyed when one of the characters said his name. Do you know who I mean and why I was so excited to hear it? Watch it to find out, and let me know what you think.

14 comments:

  1. I don't know too much about astronomy, but I've been to the Isle of Skye and I know you'll have a lovely time! Sounds like an idyllic location too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll be asking you the best places to see while we're there!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellie - I've never been to Skye - but gather it's stunning and I sure hope the weather holds up for you - the telescope will be just fine ... I'm sure bigger and better are out there ... but as a wonderful starter telescope sounds great for £15 ... good value. Just enjoy ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never made it to the Isle of Skye when we visited. You'll have beautiful views day and night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will. Maybe you'll get to Skye during another visit to Scotland?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're in for a lovely time. I love living in the country and being able to see so many stars though it's not as dark here at night as I'd like. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you, Susan. I'd like to live in a more rural setting.

      Delete
  5. My hubby is much more an astronomer than I am, but I do love looking at the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just being able to see the Milky Way will make me happy.

      Delete
  6. I took astronomy in college, but now that I think about it, I can't say I've ever seen the sky through a telescope. I should get one and try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. I think Mary would be the best person to ask for advice. I have a feeling she'll say the Greenkat isn't strong enough.

      Delete
  7. I am a little envious of your week away! I loooove stargazing. I was recently in New Zealand and visited a town of theirs that is well known for its amazing views of the milky way. I saw it on a night with a full moon so wasn't as bright as it could have been, but was still dazzling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. That sounded amazing! What an experience.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!