Wednesday, 2 August 2017

IWSG: Pet Peeves, Please!


Founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG's purpose is to share and encourage. A place where writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. 

The awesome co-hosts for August's post are Christine RainsDelorah @ Book LoverEllen @ The Cynical SailorYvonne Ventresca, and LG Keltner.

Before I answer this month's question, I should talk about my current writing insecurity. Four weeks today, Mr PS and I are getting married! Now we're into August, it's all become very real. Most of my spare time these last few weeks has been taken up with wedding preparation. There seems to be a never-ending list of tasks to complete and I haven't even started with the packing. I jokingly asked Mr PS what we'd do with all the free time after the wedding. He replied Christmas. I wanted to cry. I love him dearly and cannot wait to be Mrs PS, but I also want some normality. A few weeks of nothing but every day life. I'm seriously considering giving everyone a gift card this Christmas, because it would make my life much easier. Is that bad?

Time for this month's IWSG question:

What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?

Excessive use of swear words. I don't like the use of swear words in fiction, but I do understand that sometimes a well placed swear world can add to a scene. I used the F word once in a story, because the character had to say it. I thought it worked well in the context of the scene. If a book is riddled with them, however, I'll end up putting it down. I don't see the need. The writer should be able to show us how the character is feeling without resorting to excessive profanity. How do you feel about the use of swear words in fiction? What are some of your pet peeves?

19 comments:

  1. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I don't mind swear words if they're used appropriately and fit with the characters, context etc. But if it's swearing just for swearing's sake, that turns me off. Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree - if the swear words fit the context, it's okay.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I like gift cards. Do it.
    I don't like a ton of swear words in my reading either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A ton of swearing sure can be off putting. I've only ever used the F word a bunch in one book because the character was a douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that context, I can see how the swearing would work - a lack of swear words might actually seem odd.

      Delete
  4. Yay for the wedding! It's going to take a while afterwards to regulate into something normal, but I'm so stoked for you. HUGE congrats.

    You know, I always felt that swearing in a book was a lack of creativity in action. Show people. We don't need to hear obscenities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal! I do feel like I'm walking on air most of the time. It's a wonderful feeling.

      Delete
  5. Excess swear words put me off. I just read a book in which the writer used too many of them. I just hated it, because except for the profanity, the rest of the book was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It depends on the context but I usually don't appreciate a lot of swear words. Congrats on your upcoming event. Wishing you the best and hope you find a new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the upcoming wedding! Yes to gift cards. :)

    I think swear words are okay when warranted by the character/situation, but I don't go overboard either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Ellie - that's such excellent news ... I'm sure we could all tell you were very happy, I certainly could - so this rounds that off for us brilliant to read - just have lots and lots of fun.

    I don't like hearing swear words either, or reading them in blogs, or on FB, or Tw or in books ... but occasionally ok.

    Lots of fun ... enjoy it all - cheers H xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swears don't bother me as long as they're appropriate to the story that's being told and the character saying them. Some of my stories have swears, some don't.

    Congrats on the upcoming wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SQUEE! The upcoming nuptials are exciting but nerve wracking too. I'm not crazy about overuse of swear words either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't mind swear words at all, in fact my main WIP has a ton, but I think it's more about the voice of the character using it. For my particular narrator, it just comes naturally and I think it works for him. I have several other characters who would definitely not use as many (if any) swears.
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those 4 weeks will fly by.

    I don't like any heavy swear words in my reading. DLP won't publish anything with R-rated swear words either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! It's so excited, and nope, don't feel guilty about making things less stressful on you by getting gift cards.

    I don't mind swear words, but I agree there are other ways authors can find to have their characters express themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the wedding plans. So exciting.

    I don't mind swear words, but if its gratuitous or overwhelming, I get bored with the story. But I also don't like when an author uses popular alternitives either. Friggin', flippin' freakin', sugar. You know, just say the word. The context is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Hope everything goes smoothly.
    I say, do the gift card thinggie...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!