Wednesday, 4 October 2017

IWSG: Ellie's Story


It's October's Insecure Writer's Support Group post and, as per usual, I'm writing it on the day it's due. I've finally accepted I'm an 'at-the-last-minute' kind of person and I'm good with it. It's just the way my brain works and that's okay. 

Phew. Now that I've kicked that insecurity demon into touch, on with today's post. Before answering this month's question, you can learn more about the IWSG group and it's founder Alex J. Cavanaugh here. The awesome co-hosts for October's post are Olga Godim, Chemist Ken, Jennifer Hawes, and Tamara Narayan.

Time for this month's question:

Have you ever slipped any of your personal information into your characters, either by accident or on purpose?

No, and yes. Let me explain. I've never intentionally used deeply personal information to create characters. It's important to separate personal and writing lives. However, I know that my own life has and will continue to influence the characters and stories I write. What makes our writing unique is the sum of all our life experiences. However, I've also chosen to create characters that are the opposite of me in many ways. I enjoyed the challenge of thinking and behaving in ways alien to my own. I guess that's one of the many bonuses of writing - we get to live life in a myriad of ways. 

What about you? Do you put the personal into your characters or stories?

7 comments:

  1. We get to live lives we wouldn't otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't purposefully put myself in, but I guess bits and pieces slip through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life experiences have influenced my characters big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just like you. I don't purposely put personal stuff in, but some might sneak in, and my characters do have bits of me in them. Lots of geeky stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've definitely taken aspects of my own experience (and/or life) and put them into stories (sometimes intentionally). Other times I'm going out on a limb and hoping I do my character justice when i don't have personal experience in a certain area.

    I'm not writing about ME, but I'm writing about things I know about in some way, or I'm using those things to create a rich (I hope) character.

    I will say that most of my novels tend to involve characters who love music in some way, and most of them tend to love music that I love. I do have a very wide variety of music in my collection, so I can pick and choose genres for particular characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellie - love the idea of Ellie's story - hope that's being written as you go along?! We must take things from our own life and from those we hear as we journey along and introduce different elements into our work ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used some personal stories and shaped them into the narrative of my stories because they work for the plot. I also try to tap into similar emotions I've had to help me write the ones the characters are having. It can be fun to write about things that are completely different too, though that might be as telling about the writer in some cases. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!